Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Salt Lake Expedition

Mike's Salt Lake Expedition
    Memorial Day Weekend, 2009

A couple of weeks ago, Kassia and I took a two day road trip around the Salt Lake. My original intentions were to investigate strange formations and discoloration found on the outer edges of the rarely seen northern and western Salt Lake. While on the 450-mile trip, we saw popular sights such as the Saltair, ATK Propulsion, Golden Spike, and Spiral Jetty, to the not so popular site of Kelton, Locomotive Springs, the incredibly desolate western salt lake trails, the West Desert Pumping Stations, and the military reservations of LakeSide. There was a long stretch of deep muddy road on the west side of Stanton island that I thought we'd get stuck and stranded for sure. However, luck favored us.

We left on our expedition early Saturday morning. Our original route took us to Brigham City and westward to the railroad owned causeway that spans the lake. Promintory point was our destination. By taking the causeway, we could have saved nearly 70 miles on our trip. To our unfortunate discovery, the causeway was closed to public access, forcing us to drive back to I-15, up to Farmington, and over to the Golden Spike monument. We spent a good hour here, watching the trains leave and touring the museum.

Our next stop was the famous 1970’s Spiral Jetty earthwork. Along the way, we noticed what appeared to be old ruins of a pier. Later investigation turned out that those ruins were old oil drilling rigs from many decades before the Jetty was built. The Jetty was sitting perfectly in the water. We journed through the Jetty, performing a jig in the middle in hopes for sunny weather. Unfortunately, the weather was quite nasty, so we decided to stay in at the Western Inn (Good continental breakfast) back in Farmington. On our way back, we stopped at ATK to gawk at the massive space shuttle rocket and display. I can never believe how huge those engines are.

Early Sunday morning, we headed back past Golden Spike, across the Salt Wells Flat, and over to Locomotive Springs. Dispite the swarms of mosquitoes, this area is quite an oasis in the desert. Large fresh water springs fill deep pools that are thriving with fresh water life. One pond was absolutely loaded with smaller fish, while in another I saw several fish likely weighing in close to 10-15lbs.
    We continued on to the ghost town of Kelton. Kelton was a rail support town, built to support the industry that was driving the Pacific railway across Utah. A cemetary and a few foundations still exist. We continued to the western edge of the lake and began our southward trek. The trail from Kelton was very rugged and muddy. Some flat stretches were deep enough in mud that we just managed to crawl hundreds of feet at just over a mile an hour. A full stop would have meant getting stuck for sure. No cell coverage for close to 40 miles.

It took us almost 4 hours to make the 50 mile drive from Kelton to the West Desert Pumping Stations (Hogup Pumps). There was not much to see on this side. A lot of sand, mud, salt, and sage. It was a constant fight and struggle keeping all 4 Big-O XT Mud tires from sinking into the long, deep stretches of mud. This is the last place I'd want to get stuck. After packing every cavity with sticky, salty mud, we made it to the Hogup Pumps. These $60 million pumps were an intersting site to see in such a deserted place. After peeking around a bit, we decided to take the causeway across the lake and over to Lakeside. When we reached Lakeside, the roads were riddled with No Trespassing and Private Property signs. According to my maps, they were the only way though. So ignoring the signs, we drove off the causeway and into the LakeSide area. We eventually ran into military signs that informed to keep on the road, which were a good sign that we were ok to be where we were. Being Memorial Day, we did not see much activity though here. In fact, everything seemed abandoned.

Our last stop was the old abandoned cement factory. Unfortunately, there were a lot of construction looking trucks parked behind the locked gates, which made it appear we were not welcome to cross the fence like so many others have done and take some photographs. Sadly, we turned around and headed home. Overall, it was an interesting trip. Some some weird, alien things. Recommend everyone do it once. Especially the Spiral Jetty area.

View the entire photo gallery here:
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • lobster68w
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Dec 2008

Sounds very interesting!!

I've done the loop around Dugway a few times, it's over 300 miles. One of these days I'd sure like to make it up to the Lakeside area before DOGM does their thing.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Mark1955
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Dec 2008

NNice trip photos Mike!!!

They were supposed to start closing up Lakeside this week....

MArk

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Great report Mike, I have a love for the Great Salt Lake area, a good friend of mine Micheal Slade is working on a photographic book of the lake, very inspiring to say the least. Each time I see his photos I want to load up and head to the GSL desert. You hit some of the neatest spots out there!

His site:
        IMAGES BY MICHAEL SL ADEABOUT THE SURVEYBUY A PRINTCONTACTCREDITS patek philippe replica
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...