• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • konigstigerii
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2008

Weekend of may 30th out by dugway report

Well I've been busy/lazy the last few weeks so I haven't gotten around to posting any pics and all that so here it is:

We ended up showing up at the four metals mine at dark, since I though for some reason we could top of on gas at dugway...duh I should of known better lol, but we ended up finding it relatively easily in the dark with mr. gps and google earth. Camp was uneven and the first night of sleep kinda sucked, but oh well. There was mostly one mine in the area, with some caved in and a trench that I think might of been a low tunnel that collapse, I dunno. We went in one a ways, but came across some questionably passable holes, and seen even more beyond, so we didn't go much further, there was a ladder that we were told by some people that showed up in the morning that goes down to some levels, but being smart, we wouldn't go down the ify looking ladder when we don't have any rope or rappelling gear if we needed it (forgot it, we always forget something it seems lol)

We then wandered around in the trucks and came across this cabin:

Then kenny got brians poor 2wd truck stuck lol:

More views of stuff in the area:

Then I'm not sure what this next mine is, but I think it is one of the rainbow mines, It goes in a ways and someone painted pink arrows on the way to get out, further in, I saw pink rocks, signaling that the walls are not stable, and had to craw thru this part, then smelled some rotten gas smell so we immediately turned back, I didn't get a good smell, but it wasn't normal air, but was slightly sulfur like. Lots of pyrite in this mine area, a road went up further, but was really rocky and loose, and we didn't have enough time to keep going. Also there were a lot of blue and white crystals in the mine, don't know what it is?

THIS one you can see the blue crystals a bit:

Then we kept going to find a decent camp spot:

We found a nice camping spot, but we had to make a train to get brians truck up a hill, barely worked

And our awesome camp spot!

The view:

The rocks behind us, lots of little holes and short caves, probably more in this area:

one of the caves only a few feet tall, and from what I could tell only goes in about 15 or so feet

Animal skeleton here:

This was one of our best camping spots, the pictures don't show the view that well... But in this area there are a bunch more mines around, we just didn't have time to look at any of them, lots of tilling piles and that, but ran short on time, possibly worth going to again for us, but when it is a bit cooler, it was hot during the day, and at dawn on this mountain it was really windy, but calmed down at night.
  • Troy
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2009

Dammit, I wish I hadn't had to cancel, that looks like good times. The wife yielded her veto power since I had been gone on a business trip for most of that week
    Thanks for sharing some amazing pics and information. 4X4's, amazing scenery, mines, caves, open desert.....Lot's to explore out there, that's for sure.
    Troy E.

Comment

• Crystal

Wow thanks for sharing! Sounds like you guys really had a good time out there. When you head back out there let us know and perhaps we'll join you.

Comment

• Mark1955
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

You all missed the remains of the Smelter out there... probably drove right past it though, it's 300 yards west of the road going north along the east side of the Dugways. There is still a good hunk of the chimney left as well as several ore piles and foundations for buildings. This smelter(can't remember the name) processed all the ore for the mines in the area and dates back to the turn of the century. There is also a road leading up to a higher level where there are alot more mines, a couple of pretty large ones. Did you make it very far into the Four Metals? Isn't that view at the north end spectaculuar!!!

Mark

Comment

• konigstigerii
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Dec 2008

Yeah thanks, we had fun, and may go back to that area when it cools down some, probably fall time. We missed the smelter completely, And there were mines/tilling piles we never got around to looking at, so I'm sure there are plenty more to check out in that area. We didn't get too far into the four metals mine, Went in a horizontal tunnel, but ended coming across some holes in the floor that we were not equipped to safely cross, then there is a vertical shaft (which crossed the tunnel) but the ladder looked questionable, but would of gone down it if we had a safety line, some people that showed up said it went down 200 feet or so to other levels, so definitely more to explore there, we just forgot the rope and rappelling gear to be safe. There were more mines in the area that were vertical, but didn't go in any because we didn't have the gear to do so.

I would of like to seen that smelter you're talking about, but I bet we did drive right past it, we drove out there when it was dark, so it is very possible.

And that view was awesome! pictures don't do it justice imho.

Comment

• Mark1955
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

Here's a link to pictures of the smelter at Buillionville.... Of course nothing THIS old in You-Tah has the benefit of being preserved for all to see... Very few even know it's out there.

Comment

Working...