• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikezauner
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Jun 2008

Hidden Treasure 05-23-09

The trip started with all 18 of us splitting up into 2 groups to tour the Hidden Treasure mine. I followed Stuart, Mike headed up the other group. Stuart took us down the main incline to the collapsed bit before we went back to the top of the incline to go see the drop he'll be taking later with a few of the lucky others with harnesses and proper vertical gear that leads to the Buckhorn Mine. After that we looked for the upper mineralized area of the mine (the lower being past the collapsed section of the main incline). While I enjoy rock hounding, I was there to explore, as was Troy. The two of us wandered up past a rather dodgy fence of sorts keeping many large rocks from rolling down the incline, up to a much larger incline. We called to Stu to come join us and take a closer look before continuing, then kept moving upwards into a rather large stope with a ceiling of about 50-60 feet at the peak.

We shot out most of the tunnels in the stope, with one leading to an incline, and explored one level up and one level below where we came in. In the tunnel leading to the incline was an ore cart. On the same level we came in was a branch off going down a smaller tunnel that leads to an intersection with a large cave room about 15 feet in diameter and about 60 feet tall at the peak, in a more or less conical shape. About at this point in time we had been separated from the group for about an hour and went back, after only scratching the surface of this incline. Mike's group as well as most of our group had already left the mine and went to go explore the Utah Queen. Great fun was had and we must go back to see the rest of this mine. If I forgot anything, let me know.
    Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard
  • ryan162
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

you forgot the pictures! is this one of the local favorites by where most of you live in utah? sounds like a really cool place. id like to find an ore cart some time

Comment

• divingbuddy
      Mojave Child
      • Jan 2009

I was also with Stuart and the others in our group. I will be posting my video of the our explorations. I didn't have time to take photos, so if anyone could post pictures I would like to add them to the video. But for now I will have the video completed by this afternoon. This was a great trip and must be done again. Thanks go Stuart and Mike for the fun had by all.

This is the link to the video of my Ophir Hill Mine Trip. Look for Divingbuddy's Video.

Comment

• Mikezauner
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by ryan162
        you forgot the pictures! is this one of the local favorites by where most of you live in utah? sounds like a really cool place. id like to find an ore cart some time
        I didn't have my camera and therefore can't post photos...unless you absolutely must have a photo, here:

Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Stuart
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Ht

Thanks for the post Beard! This was a fantastic trip and I really enjoyed exploring those new areas with my group. Here are the pictures that I have from the trip Miah, Crystal and I took down that winze into the lower sections: PICTURES

-Stuart Burgess
          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
          Burgess Exploration LLC
          http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
          Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• ExpUt
            True Mojave
            • Jul 2008

Bummed I missed this trip. I slacked on RSVP'ing and got on the waiting list. I should have checked my email early that morning as a spot opened up. Doh! Glad you guys had a great time and I can't wait to get out with you again.
            Kurt Williams
            CruiserOutfitters.com
            ExpeditionUtah.com
            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...