• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lobster68w
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Dec 2008

A few pics from this weekend.

I spent the day fourwheeling around Eureka. I had looked up a bunch of things on Google Earth, so I had somewhat of an idea where I wanted to go. There is a road/trail that takes you from Eureka back behind the town and mountain to Mammoth. There are a lot of old mines back here, some with head frames still standing. I spotted this one from the hills, and drove down a seldom used trail to get to it. Nothing is posted if you come down from the top which I did, but trying to get out heading down out of the hills it's gated.

It was a pretty long way down!

There are a number of mines just off Silver Pass Rd, but all are posted. It's cool to look at though, as they all still have large metal head frames standing. The Trixie and Apax mines are two of them. There is security around, some old guy driving around in a mini-truck. I just waved and he drove on by.

For those of you who haven't been to the Copper Leaf Shaft, I finally got up there with my camera/flash and was able to get a decent shot of the shaft-

That's 2200 feet straight down folks!!

On the way home, I decided to hit the Ahlstrom Mine, since it's so close to home.

Éirinn go Brách
  • Troy
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2009

How far back does the Ahlstrom mine go, and are there other levels within the mine?

That mine that goes down 2200 feet......obviously you haven't been down there, and you may not even be able to answer my question, but i've run into a lot of mines like that out near Eureka, and mercur...etc. I was wondering if for the most part those "holes in the ground" are just that, or do they generally have "levels" at different depths??

-Troy
    Troy E.

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Troy
      How far back does the Ahlstrom mine go, and are there other levels within the mine?

That mine that goes down 2200 feet......obviously you haven't been down there, and you may not even be able to answer my question, but i've run into a lot of mines like that out near Eureka, and mercur...etc. I was wondering if for the most part those "holes in the ground" are just that, or do they generally have "levels" at different depths??

-Troy
      The standard seems to be a level every hundred feet, but this is very flexible depending on how the veins are laid out.
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

Working...