Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Green Eyed Monster 4/25/2009

Green Eyed Monster
    Mine and Cave Exploration

Last Saturday, Mojave Underground led an expedition into the Green Eyed Monster, a natural cave located within a mine high on the north side of Ophir Canyon. Located at 40°22'44.42"N 112°14'43.88"W, approximately 600' above the Jim Fisk mine, the Green Eyed Monster provides a challenge for all who attempt to climb up to it. We all gathered at the mouth of that canyon at 9am; after filling paperwork and reviewing maps, we began our steep climb up in two groups. Stuart led the first group, while I led the last.

Entering the mine requires sliding down a steep, cold, muddy culvert and into a very tight squeeze. Mud had to be dug out in order to allow many explorers access into the mine. We followed the adit for approximately 1/5 of a mile and turned right, crawling through a little crawl space and into the medusa room. The miners blasted right through this room and continued past. From here, a small room in the ceiling takes you into the big room, a large natural void filled with amazing green flowstone and brilliant helicites.

The group explored every little nook and cranny that would allow a body to travel through. Crystal and Kassia found the pool room, but none of us were brave enough to dive into its depths. We continued back the route we came, dropping holes and photographing anything we could find.

The climb back out the culvert was not an easy one. The angle required to get out made it difficult for many to squeeze their bodies through. A hand line was dropped to simplify the extraction. With the culvert so muddy, it was hard getting traction to climb back out.

Overall, the GEM was a real adventure, and quite a treat for all. Thanks everybody for coming.

Photos can be viewed here:

-Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • John
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

Ha ha ha.... as I recall, I was the the ONE who needed the extra inch or so to get into the mine.
    Anyway, let that angel of mercy who dug it out for me know that I'm very grateful.

It was a mine not to be missed. It was challenging (I recall muttering "you've got to be kidding" at least once while ascending the worm hole up to the great room). But the cave system is certainly a extraordinary sight & one that I'd like to visit again some time.

Rating for this trip.......a solid 10!

P.S. I was also asked to take a picture of someone (Red helmet, yellow gloves, camo pants, black boots posing in the part of the cave with the mine running through it) & e-mail it to them, but they never got me their e-mail addy.
    Just PM me with your e-mail & I'll get it sent to you.

Comment

• TooeleCherokee
      Mojave Teen
      • Jan 2009

Great trip.. I have the bruises to prove it .

John.. you should just post all of your pictures up here so we can all take a look.. (My new camera is still on the Fed-ex truck.. Mmm waterproof, shock resistant, 10 megapixel)

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

(My new camera is still on the Fed-ex truck.. Mmm waterproof, shock resistant, 10 megapixel)
        Let us all know how it works for you, Crystal has just recently trashed her brand new 10 megapixel mine camera.
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• offroadcmpr
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Feb 2009

It was tons of fun, I would love to do it again, but I will have to wait until I have a job so I can afford gas money to get out there.

I have a bunch of pictures of people coming through the tight hole at the end. I don't know who is who in them though as I can only see their rear ends.
          Let me see if I can post them. Do I have to use imageshack to do it, or can I upload them directly to the forums?

Comment

• Arual
            Mojave Baby
            • Aug 2008

Man, I wish I hadn't missed out on this one! It sounds like a ton of fun, and I've been wanting to check out the GEM since we visited my first trip out to Ophir.

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

imageshack is a great way to post your photos. Feel free to load the thread up!
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• offroadcmpr
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Feb 2009

Here are some from the trip

This set is from the short loop that we found.

I thought that this color was really cool. This was from the mine.

This is some flow mixed with iron found in the mine.

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Great pictures! Too bad I didn't go in with you guys, but I am glad that I got to hike up and meet all the new guys. Hopefully I will be seeing you all again shortly at one of our upcoming events
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• iamsquat
                    Mojave Teen
                    • Jun 2008

Man I'm super jealous! That looks like it was quite the trip!

Comment

• Dwayne27
                      Mojave Teen
                      • Dec 2008

Looks pretty awesome. Do you guys plan on heading back there again anytime soon?

Comment

• mymania
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Dwayne27
                        Looks pretty awesome. Do you guys plan on heading back there again anytime soon?
                        I know I want to go out there. I'm wondering about doing it some week evening.

Comment

• ExpUt
                          True Mojave
                          • Jul 2008

Great trip report guys, I really missed out. Can't wait to get out with you guys again!
                          Kurt Williams
                          CruiserOutfitters.com
                          ExpeditionUtah.com
                          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...