• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnderUtah
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Mule Cart Finally Reconstructed

Well Mike and I went up to the ol' Ophir Hill to FINALLY get the mule cart put back together. Last time we pulled the cart over to the line of ore carts and de-railed the crap out of it. When I arrived I tried to lever it back up but it was a no go. I tried tugging it with the four wheeler, and again, nothing. I unhitched the rover and backed her on over - low gear and it just spun the tires - I had managed to wedge it between the switch pretty badly and there was no popping it back up... I eventually found a long section of track and set it atop the adjacent cart and wedged it into the rock wall and was able to use the chain hoist to take the weight off and finally work it back onto the tracks. That sucker is HEAVY! That shennanigannery took the better part of an hour.

Once rolling again I wheeled it over to the mule and, thinking I could avoid a trip into the mine alone, set the giant water drums on either side and repositioned the rail and hoist. Well I could only get the box about a foot off the ground with that configuration, so into the mine I went, dragging the cart behind the ATV. It was a pretty uneventful ride to the turn-off to the blue room, and as I was securing the parts of the A frame I saw the Fish strollin' on down o join me. We secured the frame and Derek's beloved broken generator and took a ride back out. After a bit of fussing we had the A frame assembled and the battery hoisted high enough to use the rover to yank the mule back under the box. This worked pretty well, and it wasn't too long before things were set back into original position. We raised and blocked the little seating / footwell sections of each mule cart so that they sat up instead of dragging the rails, and we set the old battery box and lids back on the other mule cart. All in all a pretty darn good half-day! I'd love to put the other batteries back into the box to truly reassemble the other cart.

Things went pretty well and nobody lost a finger, so Miah is happy! Now I can sleep at night knowing that what we told Leo a month ago has finally come true!

BTW the weather stunk - isn't is supposed to be spring?

Thanks Mike for all the help and the sammich!

(Sorry about the low quality videos and photos from my phone - Mike )

The Video:
    Miah
    Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."
  • Jeff
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Nov 2008

Good Job you guys way to get things done
    Jeff
    Mojave Mine Team
    Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

Way to go
      Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Troy
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Mar 2009

Looks like fun. I was wondering if your rover was spinning wheels due to the snow... or if that even mattered. Either way, that sucker sounds heavy regardless. Nice work.
        Troy E.

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Ya, Rover spun from the snow. 4 Big-O XT tires are awesome, but not enough to pull a wedged 2500lbs cart out between a rail switch.
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• John
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Oct 2008

Nice work guys.

Hope to get out to some mines with ya as the weather warms to break-in the new light & helmet that has been taunting me since December.

Comment

• Mikezauner
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Jun 2008

Wish I could have helped out. looked like quite the task.
              Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Stuart
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Good work guys! Sorry I couldn't help put them back together.
                -Stuart Burgess
                Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                Burgess Exploration LLC
                http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...