• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • konigstigerii
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2008

Spor mountian and desert mountian

Went out to spor mountian area again, as we wanted to check out more things in the area. Two more vehicles came with us this time which made it nice for carrying supplies and what not. We decided to try to find a camp spot before it got dark, but we ended up setting up camp as it got dark anyways as we couldn't leave as early as we wanted. No vehicle issues this time like last, my buddy's 'new' truck had some issues but nothing that held us back. Anyways to the pics!

Here is our first night camp spot, the ground was pretty much kitty litter-like, so it was called camp kitty litter lol. Off the main dirt road by a few miles, saw some signs going in, but the English part was all gone, but I could make something out about domestic animals in the area in Spanish, which we didn't have with us. Had some rough roads in, but surprisingly my buddy's 2wd ford made it.

view from camp:

In one or two of the pics you may notice some cans laying around, apparently the people before us tried to do a diet plan, but just ended up shooting the diet food cans. We picked the garbage from them up though, it was kinda messy, and to us unacceptable.

First mine we went in was short, didn't need our lights almost, it was by the bell hill mine, some inside pics:

end of the tunnel into a large hole, (pictured later):

The hole, very unstable appearing, can tell its been sluffing off a lot (note the hanging fence post):

Some old machinery to the west:

Next stop was a place we had to hike into, the road was gated off, though no signs what so ever, so we just hiked in, not too bad as we were able to drive pretty close to the area.

Us hiking up (i'm not pictured):

This are seemed to be a newer operation, they had steel ladders! though it was laying on the ground lol

far back as this one went:

Old school bus

Next mine we went in, there was papers posted in entrances of them about proof of annual labor, reading mostly the person would just clear the roads and take out low grade ore, also indicated this was the flourine queen. Last date on the papers was july of 2006

this mine had a few cave-ins and we didn't go any further as they seemed to get worse as we went back

large open pit at top:

another short mine:

A little office dug in:

On our way back to base camp, there was a lot more in this area to explore, but we needed to head back and eat and go to our next camp spot.

We decided to go to death canyon as it was about 40 miles away and camp in a nice field area in death canyon, we showed up in the area and there has been activity since we last visited last year, brush looked to be cleared out in some areas, and the camp spot was now occupied by a trailer, no one was there, but we didn't want to camp there if there was activity, we decided to then go to desert mountian, since we always wanted to camp there. Here are some pics on the trip from spor mountian to death canyon: And by the way this is what I like, traveling fast on dirt roads, especially if they are a little rough, almost got air in one spot, quickly radioed to my buddy following closely to warn about the drop off, and he said he knows, he watched my truck drop down an disappear. This was south of death canyon, a road i've been on before, so I knew that is was fun to go fast on, but didn't expect it to be so dramatic doing 70 lol, scared me just enough to have fun!

and the second day camp spot, which is pretty nice imho:

view from:

There were a lot of dried up cow pies we burned too, they make excellent fire material, burn nice and clean, no smoke, no smell plus we're cleaning up the area!

heres a tilting rock you can move:

more views:

This was the first time we set up camp and still had day light after!

The really bad thing though was that after I took these pics, I became sick as all hell, had diarerrha and puked every hour or so till midnight... it was horrible, I mangaged to drive back home the next day, part way, and stayed sick with the unfortunate bodily fluids exiting till thurdsay. Almost went to the hospital on this one, worse ever. Think it was the 'stomach flu', but I'm all better now!

It was cool driving back though as it was way windy, watching and hitting tumble weeds on the way back, I almost hit one that was the size of a cow! some would hit a bank and fly up into the air 20-30 feet, pretty cool, and the trip was a lot of fun as well minus the getting sick part!
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Thanks for sharing! I have been wanting to get back out to Spor for some time now since when I went we only had a day to explore the area. If there is one thing that I absolutely hate, it is stomach viruses. Too bad for that, but at least you live another day to do more exploring.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Looks like some great exploring/camping! Another great post.
      -Stuart Burgess
      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
      Burgess Exploration LLC
      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...