• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Scranton & The Tintic Drain Tunnel

Mike and I made a trip to Scranton on the 28th to see how many of the mines in the North Tintic Reclamation area we were able to get to before the running into snow too deep to continue. Unfortunately we were only able to make it part of the way up Black Rock Canyon because of the snow, but we were able to make it all the way up Barlow Canyon to see Scranton and the Scranton Mine. The weather was great and we were able to explore some of the levels of the mine and see the area around the mine. Pictures of our little excursion can be found here. After briefly checking out the area we decided to head down to the Tintic Drainage Tunnel which is southeast of Eureka. The tunnel was meant to drain the mines on the west side of the mountain, but was never finished due to bankruptcy. There is a gravel pit next to where the tunnel use to be and it looked like to us that the gravel pit filled in the entrance to the tunnel and it is now inaccessible. Pictures of the area can be found here.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team
  • tunnel rat
    Mojave Teen
    • Sep 2008

Glad to see that Scranton has not been closed off yet. Did you guys find the "geode mine or cave" as some call it. It is in the same area. Great pics did you explore very far into the mines.
    To take no chances in life, is to have no chance at life.
    Shawn
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

We saw a fairly good chunk of the Scranton mine, but there is still some more to see that we will save for later date. The only mine we went in was the Scranton mine. Where is this geode mine located from the Scranton mine?
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Derek
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2008

Also I have learned since my above post on the drain tunnel that it was part of Jesse Knight's projects and it was meant to drain the mines in Diamond.
        -Derek
        Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• one_bad_rover

The geode mine is on the turn off, just before you get to scranton proper. So named because the mine was started in a natural fissure, if you look at the walls and ceilings there is a good amount of purple and clear crystal that comes right out. Its just covered with dirt.
          The turnoff looks like a river run off, and the road is similar. You will pinstripe the hell out of any full size vehicle. There are 5 adits in the general area, and if you hike another 3 up the hill to the south.

Comment

• Derek
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2008

Thanks. We'll check it out on our next visit when the snow melts.
            -Derek
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• ryan162
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Feb 2009

nice pictures! that one looks neat. i like the little path you guys had in that 45 deg area.

Comment

• lobster68w
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Dec 2008

We were just up at the Scranton today. Did you guys drop down the main shaft inside? We were thinking of heading back and dropping down to see what's down there. Judging from the tailings pile, there must be a ton of workings down below.

We also got into the second mine-the one with the crystals. Pretty neat area.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Derek
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2008

We did not drop the main shaft. I want to ge tback up there though and check it out.
                  -Derek
                  Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• lobster68w
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Dec 2008

Well, if we head back out, I'll let you know. It would be fun to get a group together to go check it out before it's closed up this summer!

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

Working...