• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bergdh
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Apr 2008

Joy Utah - Drum Mountains - Juab County, Utah - 2008

This was a old trip from last year, but I am trying to catch up on stuff, and my goal to document where our family travels and what we see.

We recently took a trip to Joy, Utah. Joy is now nothing more than a few small hardly visible stone foundations, a old grave site and many mine shafts and audits. At one time Joy was a town started by Harry Joy and Charles Howard, two mining engineers from Detroit, Michigan came in 1872. Harry Joy later founded the Packard Motor Company. Manganese was mostly mined along with copper and some silver and gold. One of the Peaks near Joy called Lady Laird Peak southeast of the town site, is known according to local folklore for receiving its name from a well-known lady of dubious reputation who would frequent the mine camps.

We found many of the mine site lower on the mountain sides to still be somewhat structurally standing. The Black Boy mine site was quickly deteriorating. Use caution around this site. It seems through the years of reclamation and re opening the mines for another chance at finding the treasures inside there are many areas of "Prospecting". One area very near the Black Boy Mine I noticed a hole in the ground about 12 inches in diameter, as I approached it became clear that this was the top of a mine shaft. Some poor sheep had been standing on this spot when the ground below its feet gave way and hopefully it was faster than gravity and made it safely away. From a safe distance away with some help from the flashlights we could see what appeared to be a dome shaped roof, the center of which was only maybe 12 inches thick, the walls of the shaft 6-8 feet apart. The shaft continued down into the darkness farther than we could see. I am not sure if the shaft was buried to close it off? (I don't think so because there was wood and framing still intact in the shaft) or if the miners had been digging up to the surface only to stop 12 inches from the surface, and leaving a death trap to some unsuspecting person or animal. So walk lightly when free exploring this area, the spot seemed to be in what was left of a bull dozzer bath some years ago. After this scary sight we started to walk on paths already traveled and somewhat like a team of climbers crossing a avalanche path in the mountains, one at a time to lessen the exposure.

There where some very interesting "prospecting" and "shafts" and "audits" in this area that you could explore for weeks, possibly months given that they took years and decades to dig. One "prospect" even contained a closet complete with a door, possibly used for cold storage, or maybe just blasting supplies?

At this point we had to turn back due to low gas in the jeep. There where still a few mines visible up the mountain sides from the Black Boy mine. One can speculate as to why this mine was named as such, not due to some racial persuasion, but due to the Black rock and soil that was pulled from the mine and can be seen in the "tailing" piles you drive past to access the main shaft area. One can only imagine the miners who emerged from the shaft after a day of work covered in the dust of this dirt, and how scarce a good bath would have been, you would have indeed been a "black boy".

This area, and Juab county was a very heavily mined area in the state of Utah. The area boasts a amazing mix of landscapes. From 12,000 foot tall peaks to the north west near Gold Hill, and Trout Creek. To the flat arid deserts, hot springs, old volcanoes, springs, geode beds, and so much more. Given all this I am sure we will have many more trips to the area to explore the legends and history of those who once braved the deserts will and made a living from it.

<big></big>R. Berg #02
    C. Berg
    A. Berg

Supporting Your Adventure
  • Bradyb
    Mojave Baby
    • Apr 2009

Here's some more pics from Joy. First off, the defense against evil Govt. A cannon that fires cement filled soup cans:

Along with small arms:

The initial site:

More Pics from the area of pits (the left canyon)

See the black piles of what???

This is looking up the canyon to the right, up at those lower tailings is a great shaft (see the shiney planks up there). You definetly want to climb up there and check that stuff out:

If you go over those Hills (South) then you find the following:

And more yet to explorer as you go south, we didn't keep on going.

Now it's time for youguys to get inside those mines!

Comment

• Stuart
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

I'm up for a trip out to this area again, when would both you guys be interested in heading out again? Any free weekends coming up soon?

I'm thinking its time for another trip!

Good trip reports and pictures also BTW.
      -Stuart Burgess
      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
      Burgess Exploration LLC
      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Derek
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2008

Ah you can never have too many guns.
        -Derek
        Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Bradyb
          Mojave Baby
          • Apr 2009

If I'm lucky I can get two camping trips together each year. I need my little kids to get a bit bigger so I can start dragging them all over the state. I’ve been to Joy for the last couple years and so I’m planning a different location for our usual May 1 trip, I’ll be going to Ibex UT for a change this year (Fossil Mountain, Dry Lake Beds for flying airplanes, etc.). I would love to check out any mines that are in that area, if anyone is aware on mines in that area please let me know. I’ll be going here:
          Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

I’m tempted to try and find a dirt road to take south for about 30 miles to Frisco.

Comment

• Derek
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2008

My map doesn't show much in and around Ibex, but jus to the north in the House Range there are several mines below Notch peak. Plus if you have ATVs the House has several ATV trails that are fun to ride.
            -Derek
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Already been in most all of the mines you have there plus quite a few more. We didnt make it down that main shaft by the hoist/house in ibex, but hit all the other adits. There is a ton of mines if you shoot up from the south side into the drums, lots with intact buildings, and LADDERS. Will make it a point to post pics this weekend.. oh and I still need to post area 52 as well..
              Anyway, the drums will take you a full weekend and you will still miss a lot. In the house, Ive been impressed with Millar Canyon, and then up onto the flats... there is a certain mine up there that has eluded us for quite a few years. undrivable road.. the locals call the route "chainsaw" and recommend a few vehicles cause you always roll one or two...

Comment

• bergdh
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by one_bad_rover
                there is a certain mine up there that has eluded us for quite a few years. undrivable road.. the locals call the route "chainsaw" and recommend a few vehicles cause you always roll one or two...
                I have a rova up for the job!
                <big></big>R. Berg #02
                C. Berg
                A. Berg

Supporting Your Adventure

Comment

• Kiel
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by one_bad_rover
                  Already been in most all of the mines you have there plus quite a few more. We didnt make it down that main shaft by the hoist/house in ibex, but hit all the other adits. There is a ton of mines if you shoot up from the south side into the drums, lots with intact buildings, and LADDERS. Will make it a point to post pics this weekend.. oh and I still need to post area 52 as well..
                  Anyway, the drums will take you a full weekend and you will still miss a lot. In the house, Ive been impressed with Millar Canyon, and then up onto the flats... there is a certain mine up there that has eluded us for quite a few years. undrivable road.. the locals call the route "chainsaw" and recommend a few vehicles cause you always roll one or two...
                  Digging up an old thread. The mine you describe is the brown queen mine. I have been up to it a couple times to wheel that trail, but only ever saw some old wood frames and a small intact cabin. I never cared much about mines back then, we might need to take a second look. I will try to dig up some of my old pictures.
                  Underground Baby!

Comment

Working...