• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bergdh
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Apr 2008

Spring Canyon - Carbon County, Utah - March 2009

My family and I took a trip up Spring Canyon this last weekend. Its not really out of the way or off the map but it was a nice little Sunday drive. We came across quite a few ruins and mine locations. Turns out that I work with a kid who's family owned a lodge at the top of the canyon for many years and his family for many years helped to restore the old remains from the grips of the lame rednecks who seem to think its awesome to spray paint John + Julie forever on the side of a 100+ year old building that stands as a testament to men who risked it all to dig out a living in a black hole. If anything that 3.5 mill they are spending to destroy these "death traps" should be used to keep "Darwinism" in force. Any way enough ranting.

My co worker says that there is a mountain that has been blocked off forever because there was a coal mine in the mountain that caught on fire. They tried for years to put it out, seal it off, fill it with foam, etc. but to no avail it burns on today. I was told its blocked off because it releases toxic gasses that can kill you in one breath. I have not looked into this more, it may just me local lore, as far as the death breath. But it is documented in Carbon County History and I am sure other coal areas, of mines burning for decades. Its said this mountain can be seen smoking sometimes throughout the year. I think that's a pretty interesting story. I guess this would go to the point that even in a coal mine, there is oxygen coming in from somewhere and somewhere there is a way out.....I am sure that's not always the case but.....ya know

Ill just let the pics do the talking and ill post a link at the end of a website with some good stories on it.

<big></big>R. Berg #02
    C. Berg
    A. Berg

Supporting Your Adventure
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Great pics thanks for sharing. It looks like it hasn't changed since I was up there a few years ago.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

Excellent pics.

Underground coal fires are a real thing. There is a spot in southern Utah appropriately called "Smoky Mountains" where countless plumes of smoke can be seen dotting the hillside.

Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• trentaiken
        Mojave Child
        • Jan 2009

Nice Pictures. I grew up in "Coal Country" (Emery County Utah) and there are a few mines in that area that are on fire. I find old coal mining towns interesting because they were often more long term than the boom and bust gold towns and have a bit more in historical data, ruins, cemeteries, etc. They are great places to visit but old coal mines are the ones to stay out of if any. The mining methods, degradation process and other factors make them quite risky. If DOGM should be directing funds at any mines it should be these. I wonder if there is a case to be made of misappropriation of funds where the true dangers and risks are not being addressed in lieu of the "easy" work.
        Try it once to see if you like it or not, maybe twice to be sure

Comment

• bergdh
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Apr 2008

I believe that the dogm was started to keep the public safe from coal mines. At least I think that GRE has spoke to that point before.
          But they sure dont spend much time on the far more dangerous coal mines, just the hard rock.
          <big></big>R. Berg #02
          C. Berg
          A. Berg

Supporting Your Adventure

Comment

Working...