• Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

San Rafael Swell Trip Report

San Rafael Swell Inventory Report

March 14th, 15th 2009

A foreword to this report:
    Jeremiah, Stu, Crystal and I visited several mining sites on the 14th, 15th to determine the eligibility for DOGM closures of historical mining sites in the San Rafael Swell. Each site we visited required an off-road 4x4 vehicle. Every site also had other visitors whom were making the mine sites their destination, except as noted.

The final and more complete version of this report can be found here:

ZCMI Mines
    The ZCMI mines (38°57'16.45"N 110°50'32.86"W ) are copper mines from the early 1900s. Three mines comprise two adits and a shallow shaft. The mines can be found by taking the North Fork trail to the Joe and his Dog mountains. A foot trail approximately ½ mile takes you to the mine site. The first site is a house built of stone. The first adit extends approximately 35’ into the mountain and ends in a two way split. Each tunnel from the split extends 5 feet and ends. The shaft is located approximately 35’ up and to the east of the first portal. It extends 10 feet and ends. The third site is a horizontal adit that extends 30’ and ends. Metal scraps from mining including tins and cans scatter the area. While at this area, approximately 20 others were visiting the mine site.

MK Tunnels
    This is a large U.S. Department of Defense explosives test site, known as the MK
    Tunnel (39° 9'29.19"N 110°43'3.39"W ). It is believed they were used to determine if explosives could be used to blast into a tunnel or bunker. It consists of a large horizontal tunnel punctured by three large vertical holes. Other features include a number of bulldozed rock piles, several large and small circular drilled holes, a large crater, road/trails, and a small man-made cavity in the rock wall. The site is located on the east edge of Buckhorn Wash south of Furniture Draw. Artifacts observed on the site include metal pipes, electrical wire, metal brackets, wooden beams, and rubber cables. The site is currently being reclaimed by DOGM civilian contractors, and recognized as a mine site, although no mining ever took place. The main tunnel is gated and closed tightly by manganese steel, although there appear to be no safety hazards within the mine. Two separate families were visiting this site while we were documenting the area.

Blue Ribbon Mining Complex

The Blue Ribbon Mines (39° 2'34.85"N 110°41'45.28"W) are small uranium mines located at the base of the cliff face on the west side of Calf Mesa. An old mine road (42EM3546) is cut on the slope below the openings and leads up to the site, however it is eroded and cannot be passed with any vehicle. Hiking to the site was difficult do to the steep and slippery slopes. Hauling equipment for closures to the site would be extremely difficult and expensive. There is little dirt in the area of the mines required for closures.
    The site consists of four horizontal openings, an intact ore bin, a mostly collapsed loading chute, and a log platform. Artifacts associated with the site are generally sparse and consist of wood debris including milled lumber and beams, and sheet metal.

There are four horizontal openings at the site. The westernmost adit, 4201133HO001, is 9 ft wide and 7 ft tall. It extends into the hillside 40 ft. 4201133HO002 is 7 ft wide by 7 ft tall and has a timber framed opening. The opening extends into the hillside for thirty feet. 4201133HO003 is 7 ft wide by 6 ft high and extends into the hillside 15 ft, then turns east and connects with 4201133HO004. 4201133HO004 is 9 ft wide by 6.5 ft tall. Ten feet into the opening it splits into three tunnels; one going west to connect with 4201133HO003, one going north for only 10 ft and ending, and one going east for 15 to 20 ft. After 15 to 20 ft, this tunnel begins to turn north.

The ore bin is located on the slope just above the road. It has a rare and unique construction of 2 x 6” boards laid horizontally and alternating with short-cut 2x6”s placed at the ends and middle positions. The interior walls are covered with cut unfinished posts of irregular lengths nailed vertically. A fire has also been started in the bin, burning the interior boards. The ore bin is approximately 14 ft high and 12 ft wide. The floor is composed of 2 x 12” boards nailed to a steep angled frame. A 2.5 ft by 5 ft long chute is built in the center of the bin. The bin is supported by large squared timbers and is built on top of a 12 ft square, 8 ft Tall platform made of cribbed logs filled with dirt and rock. Associated artifacts include ore track section and wire. The loading chute is mostly collapsed and consists of abundant nailed boards lying on the slope.

The mines associated with this complex do not pose any safety hazards. They are too small to warrant the funds required to close the site. The ore bin is rare and unique, and should be protected and preserved.

Copper Globe Mines

This is a fairly large copper mine known as “Copper Globe,” (38°48'13.50"N 110°54'37.09"W). There are three vertical shafts and the horizontal adits. The first adit (4230921HO001) is set in sand stone and follows slight incline approximately 50’ until it end unnaturally. Sand and water flow have filled the mine in over time causing it to become impassible. There are no safety hazards, and foot traffic inside the mine shows it to be very well visited. The second adit we visited (4230921HO002) extends into the rock dome approximately 75’, turns south, and continues a short distance. There were also no safety hazards associated with this mine. It also shows significant foot traffic similar to that of HO001. The last adit (4230921HO003) is framed by 2x4”
    boards and held together by screws and nails. Hinges on the frame suggest a door was once present on the mine.

Many buildings and structures are found at the Copper Globe mine site. They include two lodgings, a powder storage, a storage facility, several unknown and fallen structures, and a pile of wood planned for smelting ore during the operation of the mine. Both lodgings had bed frames and beds, various furniture including a broken chair, brooms, clothing, food, eating utensils, and other items used for living by the miners.

A building of note, located on the west side of the globe, is a lodging structure with rock and masonry walls and a dirt roof. It was remodeled by local historical societies by constructing planks and plywood side walls inside the outer walls. There is a rock fireplace in the middle of the building. The interior furniture includes bunk beds, a home-made bed frame, 3 tables, a shelf unit, and shelves stocked with food and eating utensils.

This site is a very popular stop by many visitors. The road to the site can be traversed by any 4x4 or similarly capable vehicle. There are no safety hazards, as the shaft is well fenced, and the adits are short and strong.

Lucky Strike Mines

The Lucky Strike Mines (38°45'18.74"N 110°56'57.07"W) are comprised of 21 horizontal adits, several buildings, old mine roads, and scattered mining artifacts. The mine was developed in 1950 by prospectors from Ferron, Utah, as part of the effort to stockpile uranium for weapons development.
    We entered the westernmost adits, which comprised of several openings. The first mine we ventured into was 4240905HO004. At the entrance were metal ventilation tubing that extended into the mine. The mine extended 10 feet, where it split into a t. The left tunnel ended, while the right tunnel connected to another adit. Continuing straight, we found several pockets within the mine tunnel were used as a storage facility for ventilation tubing and other equipment. Orange spray paint markings were made on the wall by the miners indicating the explosive order used when blasting, which never occurred in the particular area.

The 4240905HO008 adit is partially timber framed, with a rock and dirt backfill once blocked the entrance to the mine. Previous explorers have moved rock and dirt to create a path into the mine. It should be noted that spray paint used by the miners indicates the way out throughout the entire mine workings. Immediately inside the mine is a storage shelf measuring 5 feet wide by 10 feet high. A tunnel extends an unknown depth to the right. Approximately 150’ within the mine is a tunnel directly to the left. The tunnel was once closed by a wood barrier measuring approximately 20’ wide and 12’ high. The barrier has been partially burned down, with smoke scorching the ceiling rock. This tunnel extends approximately 350’ down a slight incline. Artifacts in this tunnel include an empty bag of Heckley Powder Company’s Nitro Carbo Nitrate (ANFO), wooden platforms, several prospect tunnels, including a wooden wall blocking access to adjacent tunnels, and piping heading to the mine’s surface. Continuing straight past the burnt barrier leads to several large stopes with cardboard signs hanging from the ceiling reading “DANGER DO NOT ENTER”. These signs were placed due to soft ceiling rock falling in the center of the rooms. The room edges are free from rock fall and provide safe passage. None of the rock fall appears to have been recent, due to a heavy dust coat on the fallen rock. Also in this stope was a half full bag of Dow DowFlake Calcium Chloride, of a 77-80 strength. Several prospects extended left and right within the stope but ended after a short distance. Continuing straight through the stope led us to a room with a large door extending approximately 12’ wide and 9’ high. Passing through the door brought us to tunnels with extensive vinyl ventilation tubing through the workings. Artifacts including oil tins, headlamps, nails, and screws were found in this room. Several tunnels shot from this room, but ended within 50-100’. We continued straight through this room when we noticed a strong airflow entering the mine. We followed the airflow which brought us to a partially backfilled adit, which we exited through on the other side of the Lucky Strike Mining Complex. Safety hazards of the mine include unlikely rock fall from the ceiling. The hazard is mitigated via safety helmets.

4240905HO019 is a small prospect extending approximately 100’ NE into the mountain, where is splits to a T and extends 50’ to the left and to the right, before ending. Support structures could be found in the back of the mine. The portal entrance is closed by a wooden door with an open padlock. There are no safety hazards.¬¬¬¬

4240905HO016 is a small prospect extending approximately 45’ north into the mountain. It is unique due to the heavy red rock found around and within the mine. The tunnel is approximately 4 1/2 ‘ high, and ends. There are no safety hazards.

We continued eastward following an old mine road which brought us to several mines, known as the Commonwealth Mines. Approximately eight adits were found in this area.

4240905HO009 is a 10’ by 16’ opening. The tunnel extends approximately 75’ east into the mountain. Heavy amounts of rock fall within the mine discouraged our entry. A small waste dump about 25’ by 40’ extends out of the mine. Safety hazards are severe and entry is discouraged.

4240905HO011-13 are adits extending northward into the mountain. Artifacts including several 50’ gallon drums, oil tins, a workbench, and many support structures were found inside the mine. Mudflow over the years has slowly begun filling the mine up, making artifact discovery difficult. There were no apparent safety hazards.

Dirty Devil Mine
    The Dirty Devil Mining Complex (38°41'0.42"N 110°59'29.75"W) is a large uranium mining complex located on the south side of the Tomisch Butte. Mining operations began in 1950 to provide uranium for the nation’s stockpile. It consists of 5 adits, a few large waste dumps, a unique and intact loading chute and ore bin, and a loading platform. A road leads up to the two openings on the east side of the site. Artifacts and debris at the site consist of large metal pipes, RR ties, a 50 gallon metal drum, rubber hose, mining equipment, and wood debris.

The first mine we entered was 4240836HO004. Mines 4240836HO001/2/3/4 all interconnect closely. 4240836HO004 connects directly to the ore chute. The mine opens into a matrix of short tunnels, all about 10-15 feet wide and 8 feet high. Each tunnel proved to be strong, as there was no loose rock fall. Small seams of uranium remain in the mine, likely due to the main vein being so much stronger. We came to a room with paint sprayed on the door “No Trespassing, Keep Out!, Violators will be prosecuted”. This room in the bathroom used by the miners. Extending approximately 800’ north of this area, we came a tunnel with heavy amounts of gypsum formations growing from the ceiling. These formations included long hair-like strands, extending anywhere from a couple inches to several feet. Gypsum flowers and other formations were also present. The tunnel of gypsum was approximately 350’, where the tunnel ended in a small stope.

Concerning the other mine entrances, as found in the cultural report:
    4240836HO001:The opening is 6 ft high and 14.5 ft wide with a depth of 40+ ft. Within the adit are large diameter pipes and a work bench. Vertical roof support posts are also present inside the adit and at the opening. Outside the opening, along the base of the cliff, buried and collapsed rail road ties lead to a loading platform composed of 2x12’’ boards supported by two vertical posts and a vertical half buried drill. A board retaining wall forms the sides of the loading platform.

4240836HO002: The opening is 9.5 ft high and 13 ft wide with a depth of 30 ft. There is a large vertical
    post on one side of the opening supporting a large horizontal timber. Two inch diameter metal pipes are
    wired to the roof of the adit and extend back into the adit.
    4240836HO003: The opening measures 11 ft high and 14 ft wide with a depth of 100+ ft.

4240836HO005: The opening is 6.5 ft high by 9 ft wide and has a depth of 18 ft.

Conclusion:
    Individuals we spoke to at each of the mine sites were upset about the closures, and wished the sites would be left alone. Visitors included families, individuals, explorers, off roaders, and the like. The rock most of the mines were set in was hard sandstone and other sedimentary rocks. Most were very stable and safe, and presented very few safety hazards of any kind. One should always use care when entering an abandoned mine.

Full Image Gallery
    A high res downloadable video can be viewed Here
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Excellent report Mike, excellent! Very professional.

Did you get a chance to visit the mines that the south tip of Calf Mesa when you were in the Blue Ribbon area?
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Thanks Kurt. A lot of blood and sweat was poured over making the report. Fixed a few grammatic errors. Sure there are still some more in there.

We unfortunately did not have enough time to visit other mines in the Blue Ribbon area. We could spend an entire day in each area. So big!
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• UnderUtah
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

Indeed an excellent accounting of our trip. Most notable in my mind is the preponderance of small, shallow workings dotting the narrow band of uranium rich host rock along the canyon and butte walls. These small workings, often perched high up nearly vertical cliff faces or atop severely eroded trails hundreds of feet above the valley floor were predominantly modest in size and pose no threat of gobbling-up any stray children or wandering ATV rider. You must WORK to get to these sites, and for the most part, once you arrive, you find that the workings don't extend all that far, reducing any potential "risk." The expense that could be incurred to bar or backfill each and every one of these openings would be astronomical - the terrain; extreme difficulty in safely accessing some sites, even with only a pick and shovel to close them with, seems an effort in futility. If the proposed closures include each and every "hazard" identified it calls into question government's ability to make rational decisions in regards to spending money. SOME sites pose potential hazards, this could be said about the geography of the entire area - buttes vault into the sky, cracked all over by a tracery of fissures hundreds of feet deep, dry riverbed roads can swell to angry brown torrents with a single storm, and the extreme temperatures can cook or freeze any living thing. We accept and navigate these risks when stepping out into mother nature, and we yearn to experience the natural and man made world as it is; appreciating the beauty and potential dangers of the outdoor world as we take part. Mitigating the most severe risks is prudent, but barring the public from a unique experience and an era representative of a portion of their collective history is unacceptable. If we can't go outdoors, lets begin steering funding towards the impending healthcare crisis we will cause if the television and internet are the only ways we will be able to experience the world around us.
        Miah
        Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• trentaiken
          Mojave Child
          • Jan 2009

Did you have a chance to post this in the Emery County Progress? I think you would cause quite a backlash against DOGM in the area. All of these, as you noted in your report by all the visitors, are popular recreational areas of cultural, historical and recreational value and recognized as such by the local populations. Damn I wish I could have been there.
          Try it once to see if you like it or not, maybe twice to be sure

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Just wrote the Progress a couple days ago. Hoping for a response.
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

A high res downloadable video can be viewed Here
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• UnderUtah
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

Ok Mike, you are the man! You took two hours of my crappy footage and made a pretty sweet video out of it! Don't you love those gypsum crystals? Now we will need to name your musical stylings - how about Fish-Age? Good job, and in 1/100th of the time it takes me to crank-out a "B" movie! BTW we need to change the copyright to 2009.

Good Job!
                Miah
                Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Mike
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Thanks Miah! Made it last night before I went to bed. I have fixed some bad glitches, along with the copyright date. Re-encoding now!

Fish-Age? I like it!
                  -Fish
                  Mojave Mine Team
                  MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

Video updated. Redownload for latest video.
                    -Fish
                    Mojave Mine Team
                    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Derek
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Jul 2008

Will you put a lossless version up on the ftp for viewing please.
                      -Derek
                      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mike
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

A revised and final PDF Report can be downloaded Here
                        -Fish
                        Mojave Mine Team
                        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• RockRacer
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Dec 2008

Excellent report and pictures, etc! I am assuming these mines and lots more are what then they are considering closing. I have mentioned this already to some, but my family and I just visited the Lucky Strike Mine and the MK Tunnels early last year. Very neat experience! I have my Grandpa and Grandma on film walking through the tunnel as he tells me the history of it. A lot of memories that I will never forget.

It's embarrassing and frustrating that I say I want to help and when the time comes, I can't do anything. I wish you all the best of luck while you are down there! I know you will do a great job representing all of us. It will be very sad if it goes through. Even if you guys can win an extension, that would be awesome.
                          Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Stuart
                            Administrator
                            True Mojave
                            • Sep 2007

Well Tobin the MK tunnels are already closed, but we are doing the best we can to negotiate the rest of the closures. We will keep you posted.
                            -Stuart Burgess
                            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                            Burgess Exploration LLC
                            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• RockRacer
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stuart
                              Well Tobin the MK tunnels are already closed, but we are doing the best we can to negotiate the rest of the closures. We will keep you posted.
                              Thanks Stuart. Any idea when the tunnels were closed down? Must have been fairly recent since I think it was Easter last year we were there.

BTW, did a fair number of people show up to support against the closures?
                              Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

Working...