• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Re-Opening the Hidden Treasure Mine

The Hidden Treasure mine is well on its way to accepting new visitors! Mojave Underground Inc, under the direction of Leo Ault, the property owner, has begun safety construction on the Hidden Treasure Mine. Prior entrance into the HT required rigging up and dropping down rope in order to enter. This method is not only cumbersome, but can be dangerous were anything ever to happen underground. Miah and I determined a steel ladder would be the safest means of entrance to the 25’ bottom. We began construction on the steel ladder at the top of the shaft. Each section of ladder are made of thick steel, and run in ten foot sections. We welded the ladder together and dropped it into the shaft. Holes were bored into the rock using a hammer drill, with bolts connected to tabs which were welded onto the ladder. This provided a strong middle support for the ladder. The bottom section was also welded against the wall using the same bolting method. Up top, a series of connective rods were used to secure the top section against both the wall and the grating. We found the ladder extremely strong and sturdy.

We also took the time to open up the gate about twice the original width, due to it being very constraining and hard to get in and out of. A small section on the eastern side of the grate was large enough to allow a person to slip through without a key. We welded this section closed to prevent any further unauthorized access. A few sections of the grating had weak welds, these were re-welded and re-enforced. Any unsafe sections of the grating were cleaned up, making walking and the grating much safer. Entrance to the Hidden Treasure is back again!

DISCLAIMER:
    THE HIDDEN TREASURE MINE IS PRIVATE PROPERTY! TRESPASSING ON THE MINE SITE AND/OR ENTERING IS ILLEGAL. IF ANY PARTY WOULD LIKE ACCESS, PLEASE CONTACT MIKE CAPPS AT (801)830-0596, OR STUART BURGESS AT (801)361-3374, TO SCHEDULE ACCESS INTO THE MINE, AT THE LAND OWNER’S DISCRESSION.

History of the Hidden Treasure Mine Closure:

In September, 1989, Joshua Dennis, a ten year old boy scout, became separated from his father in the Hidden Treasure mine. Five days were spend looking for him, but search and rescue found nothing. Local law enforcement refused any entry into the mine. A man by the name of John Skinner, who grew up working the mines, had a hunch of where he was. Although he knew the mines better than anybody else around, he was not allowed in.

On the fifth day, right before the DOGM was to blow up the mine permanently, with Joshua still in it. John essentially forced his way in, and twenty minutes later, came out carrying Joshua. In 1990, many structures close to the mine were pulled down under the direction of the AMR program manager due to them being “nuisance attractions”. The mine was backfilled to prevent any further entrance, but the backfill was immediately dug out by avid rock hounds and explorers. In 1991, a permanent cement plug was placed that would require dynamite to reopen. The mine has been closed since.

PHOTOS OF THE EVENT:
    All Photos: http://mojaveunderground.com/gallery/v/hidden/ladder/

l
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Jake
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2007

Looks like you guys had quite the job! Looks good!
    -Jake Burgess
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Stuart
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Great work and great pictures. I can't wait to get back and try that ladder out! Lets contact John Skinner as soon as we can and arrange to have him give us a tour of the mine and a little interview.
      -Stuart Burgess
      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
      Burgess Exploration LLC
      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...