X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Searchlight Nevada

Southeast of Las Vegas is the little town of Searchlight. Now days it is primarily a gas stop between the gambling centers of Las Vegas and Laughlin, it was originally founded in the late 1800s when gold was found in the area.

The Duplex Mine is one of the earliest and largest mines in the area. I started walking towards the headframe with nothing but a camera in hand and was chased out within the first 5 minutes. Never even got up the hill to the headframe. Would love to see inside of this one!

All around the town are the remains from the early years of mining in the area.

Just outside of town is this old mine site. I've never known the name of this mine but it sits right next to the main road through town. It has always been one of my favorites because it has such interesting buildings and machines still on site.

The headframe still stands over the entrance. Although everything looks a bit rickety, it's in surprisingly good shape.

In the first level there was signs that someone has been scratching around. A few electrical extension cords and lights were strung along the drift. Looks like a purely amateur effort though. Overall it's a pretty neat little mine and certainly worth a few hours to explore.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • sanpet
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2011

Joanne I have always wanted to explore the Searchlight area. When I was at MCB 29 Palms, Calif. 1966-68 I would always go by way of Searchlight. If one knew the roads around there it was the shortest way to Utah and home. Did you know that MCB 29 Palms has hundreds of old mines on the base. Nobody could go on base to search for the mines because of all unexploed arty and bombs on the range.

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

Great pics!
      Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...