• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

Twin Oaks, Ca Mine Exploring

I've been going to the mines up in Twin Oaks on half a dozen trips by now. It's only an hour away from where I live. My friend Curtis has gone with me a few times, and his fiance's birthday was yesterday, she wanted to go in mines with us last night for her first time ever. So we went =)

Hit up the Amelie mine first, explored all areas till we came to the flooded sections. Got some good video footage of bats swooping everyone.
    From there we drove a mile or so around the mountain to the east side and went into 4 other adits which go back about 400 to 800ft each. Some have verticals, a few of which I've been down, and the others I'd still like to see the bottom of.

Jill was having an absolute blast, she loved them from the first 5 mins inside. A few areas I'd drop down on my belly and wiggle back though tiny openings into other more "hidden" areas and she'd just drop down and wiggle in behind. A good sign for someone's first time in!

After we got done with the adits we were gonna take her to for the night, we went up the road a little further to a place I'd passed by several times, but Curtis had found a large "anthill" vertical there a few days ago. There was a large concrete pad above it, and the remains of a headframe on a flat area near the shaft, along with a bunch of what looked like 3/4" steel cable.

I anchored off to an oak tree and dropped a 200ft rope down the shaft. It was about 20ft diameter at the top, and ended up going down 197ft to the plug of dirt that had obviously filled in the lower level. There was still one small drift level that crossed to either side that I was able to check out, as well as two on the way up which had collapsed and had burnt timbers poking out.

Because it was an "anthill" (uncollared), the sides were a bit prone to sloughing off where the rope encountered small overhangs on the way down.

They were watching as best they could from up above. At one point when I was on ascent but still about 170' down, I heard Curtis yell down "HUGE ROCK ON ITS WAY!", so I squeezed in close to the wall and avoided looking up. It whirred past me a moment later, about the size of a basketball, and shattered loudly when it hit the bottom.
    From there on up there were only smaller baseball sized and smaller clods that would occasionally come whizzing down.

After reaching the surface, Curtis assisted in hauling me up over the edge and we packed up the gear and headed back home, where we arrived at about 2:30am.

All in all it was a great trip! Curtis I took on his first time to those same mines a few months ago, and Jill and he are both excited to hit up more locations now. What a success!

Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Wow! Looks like a great trip. It's cool that Jill and Curtis are interested in exploring. As you know, it can be challenging to find fellow explorers to head out with. Although I have seen bats before, I've never seen large groups like you have in your photos. Too bad about the plug at the bottom. It would have been neat to be able to access the main workings.

Joanne
    Last edited by Joanne; 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM.
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jan 2011

Yes! It was a really fun trip. I took lots of video with the 3 of us in the mines, and I want to upload some of them to youtube, and then pull freeze-frame pictures out of a couple of them that will show more of what we were doing as a group. I think Curtis got a lot more pictures, but I was video'ing a lot, and they're up north right now.

They both want me to take them out to Tecopa now for a multi-day trip, because I've been telling them about the mines there for so long.

As you can see, I used my Speedy Special =) I sooo wish I could run spot and flood at the same time with it though.

Thx for the response Joanne!

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Therrin
        Yes! It was a really fun trip. I took lots of video with the 3 of us in the mines, and I want to upload some of them to youtube, and then pull freeze-frame pictures out of a couple of them that will show more of what we were doing as a group. I think Curtis got a lot more pictures, but I was video'ing a lot, and they're up north right now.

They both want me to take them out to Tecopa now for a multi-day trip, because I've been telling them about the mines there for so long.

As you can see, I used my Speedy Special =) I sooo wish I could run spot and flood at the same time with it though.

Thx for the response Joanne!
        Another Tecopa trip!! It seems like we've spent a lot of time there, but seeing the photos that the Underground Explorers have posted, there is a lot of mine workings that I haven't been through.

I understand wanting to run both the spot and the flood at the same time. If you didn't mine them always coming on together, you could probably tie the flood and spot together so they used the same contact in the switch. You could check with Tony to see if that would work. It seems like it should. You would probably want to jump up your battery pack capacity though. A 5x18650 pack would keep both beams running for a long day of exploring.

Speaking of Tony, I'm going to be heading over to England on June 1 for 10 days. We are going over into Wales to do a couple of slate mines, including an epic through trip that includes some big drops and climbs, a zip-line, and crossing a flooded chamber in an inflatable raft. Then we are going to head up to the Lakes District for a couple of days to meet up with more friends for more mines. I'm REALLY excited about it. I'm taking a couple of cameras so I should be able to post up some pictures when I get back.

Chat later!
        Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jan 2011

This is me being INSANELY JEALOUS. :P

Hope you have a great trip!
          Can't wait to see your pics afterward.
          I really wanted to go, there's just no way I can swing it.
          I was practically drooling when Tony was showing us those videos on youtube.
          Last edited by Therrin; 05-07-2012, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• Therrin
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Jan 2011

Finally got some videos uploaded from that night.

Here is Jill, following me into a tiny semi-hidden section in the mine.
            I crawled back into a small hidden area in the Timber Arch mine. Jill followed right behind to see what was inside. On my previous trip to this area, Curti...

And here are the three of us in what I call the "Timber Arch" mine. The best footage starts at about 3:35.
            My friends and I went up to do some mine exploring the other night. There were many bats in the mines, which made it a little difficult to walk through them...

And the last video is from the Amelie mine, during her first ever trip into the mines. We were having fun. Probably the best video of the night.
            My friends Curtis & Jill went mining with me on the night of Jill's birthday. She had never been mine exploring, so we went out and explored four mines that...
            Last edited by Therrin; 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• Joanne
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2009

Nice videos! I always enjoy watching videos of other people's adventures. It's second best if I can't be there in person.

Joanne

Comment

Working...