• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tails
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2010

Death Valley Oct

Well since i cannot figure out how to post anything on meetup, and have zero patience for technology, I will just post it in the "trips" area. It's been a few months since my last post but I'm getting married in Nov, and for my bachelor party we are heading out to go exploring instead of the usual, stippers and drinking until you puke. The dates are planned for 10/16-19 We plan on starting at a recently abandoned mine out near Ryan CA. Apparently the shafts have been sealed, but everything was left in the structures from medical equipment and laboratory hardware to the miners clothing still hanging in lockers, We will also hike up to the Death valley narrow guage RR and follow it down the valley exploring as much of the remaining mines as possible. The second stop will be the Tecopa mining district where I'm sure your all aware there is plenty to do. Just plan on a couple days and nights of exploring, good people, meals cooked in the great outdoors, guns, and drinking beer around the open fire at night. Thats my idea of a good time. Hopefully we can meet up with some folks from MU. Oh and even though its "technically" my bachelor party, ladies are more than welcome.
  • ryan162
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

not sure what mine your headed to near Ryan but they own a pretty good chunk of land and its still private with an on-site care taker. It sounds like your describing the company area.

If not then take lots of pictures!

Comment

• tails
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Dec 2010

It is in the closed company area, but not under the control of the Ryan caretaker. So it just has the usual signs "mine dangers" blah blah blah, that we all just walk right by. The CA underground explorers recently visited this site, with no problems.

Comment

• go_browns79
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Aug 2010

I was there a couple months ago. As we parked the trucks the care taker pulled up and just went on his way to the mine he stays at. Never heard from him and had a great time exploring.
        Bill

Comment

• tails
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by go_browns79
          I was there a couple months ago. As we parked the trucks the care taker pulled up and just went on his way to the mine he stays at. Never heard from him and had a great time exploring.
          Good to know

Comment

• tails
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Dec 2010

Update

We have streamlined the original plan, based on costs, driving times and # of person's attending. So for those of you who are gonna make it this is the final draft. Dates will be
            Oct 16-19 weather depending. Sunday we will be leaving late afternoon and heading to Valley of fire about 50 miles NE of Vegas. This is an area of 35,000 acres of redrock canyons, indian petroglyphs and ruins. The plan is to camp sunday night here, monday we will head out into "fire" canyon and just get lost. We will mark the trucks so we can get back with the GPS. There are no real trails here so basically you just climb over, thru and under, all kinds of slot canyons and formations. We will spend the entire day just exploring. we will camp another night here, having beers and steaks around the campfire. Tuesday we will head to the east side of lake mead to visit an obscure area called "devils fire" This area is even lesser known than the coyote buttes up near the GC. This area has some amazing rock formations that are shaped like flames of a fire. They face west so at sunset thats the color they turn as well. We will explore this area all tuesday and spend a night on BLM land out there. Wednesday we will head home maybe making a few stops here and there to explore. I may have an extra seat or 2 in my truck for those from phoenix attending. Everyone else we will just meet at the V of F visitor center Sunday night at a set time. Let me know if you plan on attending so i can start buying food. As far as hiking just bring the usual powerbars, trailmix whatever you are into. I'll get the rest.
            Last edited by tails; 10-03-2011, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• tails
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Dec 2010

Trip report

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Very cool! Thanks for the pics and report!
                -Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...