• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

Stolen truck found in a mineshaft

During our recent trip out to Tecopa, Ca we re-discovered a stolen diesel pickup truck 180' down a mostly vertical mineshaft.
    I had found it last year, and called it in to the Sheriff's office; but they didn't send a deputy out till the next day and he "couldn't find it", so the report was left open.

During this year's trip we managed to gain access inside the truck. I descended down into the bed, then went over the right side, under the undercarriage, came up on the left side by the driver's window, and crawled in through the window. I exited the same way I went in (although, it took roughly 30 mins to get back out, getting stuck numerous times gave me a touch of claustrophobia, which I've never really felt before then). Tony (our token mine explorer fresh in from the UK who was on "holiday"), went out through what was left of the front windshield and came up over the top of the crushed in cab.

We managed to recover 2 backpacks worth of personal paperwork and other items including cell phones, income tax returns, social security information, and other various things which I took up to the Sherrif's office in Shoshone the next day and submitted a report.
    I also found the cell number of the original owner, and we had a chat for about 30 mins. Turns out he's (of all things!) a crane operator, and is interested in having me assist by taking him to the location and going down to hook up the cable and prep for the lift.

Pictures to follow!

This is Tony, the UK mine explorer who joined us during our trip back out to the Tecopa, Ca area. We found a diesel pickup truck 180' down a vertical minesh...
    Last edited by Therrin; 05-21-2011, 04:55 AM.
    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Therrin
    ...and is interested in having me assist by taking him to the location and going down to hook up the cable and prep for the lift...
    110% rad, very interested in how this turns out!
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Therrin
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jan 2011

Wow, been gone from home 24 days out of the last 30. Just uploaded the pics I promised last time.

Keep in mind that this is NOT a horizontal drift. It is a mostly vertical incline technically, sits at about an 80deg slant. The truck is nose-in, so when rappelling down 180' you land on its rear bumper, basically standing on the tailgate.

(recovered documents and other personal items)

Another fun picture, same trip, different mine.
      Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
      TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...