X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Back to the Sultan

Today was my son's first vertical mine trip. I realize that the Vegas folks post a lot of photos of the Sultan, but it's close and reasonably interesting. Anyway, he did a great job and it sounds like he is ready for more.

We got to the bottom without injury. That's always a good way to start a trip.

Have to get a photo beside the mega-hopper.

He would have been in for a big surprise if the canteen was full of dirt....

We climbed up into the lower portion of the stope.

An old blasting cap tin. The lid says it all.

Someone used a neat old bottle for an oil lamp. Too bad it's broken.

Didn't take long for him to climb out. Must be nice to be young.

The day's over and we're heading home.

It was a great day to spend with my son!

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

That type of mother-son time is just priceless! It's great that the two of you could spend a day like that together...
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Yeah I really enjoy my time with him. He's planning on joining the military towards the end of the year. I'll sure miss spending time with him!

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• acidman1968
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Joanne
        Yeah I really enjoy my time with him. He's planning on joining the military towards the end of the year. I'll sure miss spending time with him!

Joanne
        What branch of the military is your son considering?

Since acid jr. shipped out last September for the Marines, I've missed having him around to go hiking with me. I'll survive though... Besides, coming up this summer I'll be hauling my wife along more often on the exploring trips I've got planned.
        I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by acidman1968
          What branch of the military is your son considering?

Since acid jr. shipped out last September for the Marines, I've missed having him around to go hiking with me. I'll survive though... Besides, coming up this summer I'll be hauling my wife along more often on the exploring trips I've got planned.
          He wants to be a Navy SEAL. He's a smart boy, so if he's up to it physically he'll be up to it mentally. Needless to say, I worry about his decision. It's purely selfishness on my part, but I'd love him to stay in town and attend the university. I know he has to spread his wings and fly, but that doesn't mean I won't miss him every single day. My daughter is up in Reno and I miss her the same way. I finally understand what my parents went through...

Joanne

Comment

• Dawn_CL
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Nov 2009

Hi Joanne,

Whats the metal peice there in the picture? Is that something to use for tying off? Also, do you use ascenders/descenders? Im pondering on picking up some rapelling equipment here locally. Possibly at Big 5 sporting goods here in Kingman. Im looking into at least a 100 foot rope, a harness, a figure 8, and an ascender. Nothing really fancy since im not looking to do that terribly much rappelling. I just aquired another mine so ive been busy with that one, getting it cleaned up and ready to work and all. It a much bigger one with 3 levels. the second level im able to get to but the third level the ladders are gone so ill need to rappell it i believe.

Dawn
            Dawn

Comment

• Joanne
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Dawn_CL
              Hi Joanne,

Whats the metal peice there in the picture? Is that something to use for tying off? Also, do you use ascenders/descenders? Im pondering on picking up some rapelling equipment here locally. Possibly at Big 5 sporting goods here in Kingman. Im looking into at least a 100 foot rope, a harness, a figure 8, and an ascender. Nothing really fancy since im not looking to do that terribly much rappelling. I just aquired another mine so ive been busy with that one, getting it cleaned up and ready to work and all. It a much bigger one with 3 levels. the second level im able to get to but the third level the ladders are gone so ill need to rappell it i believe.

Dawn
              Hi Dawn,

Congratulations on your "new" mine.

We do use descenders when we go down in this mine. The ladder is pretty good for the most part, but there is a section that is broken that I'm not willing to risk unroped. Coming back up the ladder we use an ascender as we climb in case the ladder gives out. That would leave us hanging and we would have to "frog" up to the top.

I'm doubtful that Big 5 will have the gear you need. I purchased mine from Sports Chalet, REI, and Karst Sports (online). The rappelling part is quite easy, but the "frogging" back up takes more energy. Be sure to practice with someone who is experienced before you try it in a mine! It's not terribly difficult, but you have to make sure to set everything up correctly or you can have a tragic accident.

I'm sure you already know this, but it's worth repeating. Make certain that you purchase rope that is made for "life support". I would recommend a static rope manufactured by a reputable manufacturer. You can also use a dynamic climbing rope, but it's not as good for ascending. Rope that you find at hardware stores, and even at some sporting goods stores, are not safe in a life support environment.

Oh yeah, the piece of metal that you are referring to is a short piece of mine track that my son wanted. He was willing to carry it all the way up the ladder....

Joanne

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Nov 2009

Hello Joanne,

I sent you a couple of private messages but i,m not sure they are going through. Should they not be then i will email you about something i need to discuss with you. I still have your email address if its still the same.

Dawn
                Dawn

Comment

• Joanne
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Dawn_CL
                  Hello Joanne,

I sent you a couple of private messages but i,m not sure they are going through. Should they not be then i will email you about something i need to discuss with you. I still have your email address if its still the same.

Dawn
                  Hi Dawn, I just checked my private mail and found them. I'll respond in private.

Joanne

Comment

Working...