• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KDT1970
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Sep 2009

Stockton Area, Markers Everywhere

My wife and I headed over to the Stockton area Sunday to do some shooting and to survey the area a little.
    We noticed EVERY mine, open or sealed and every tailing pile was marked with a 4 foot stake a number and an orange marker flag.
    Does anyone know if these are survey markers or reclamation markers. Even the mines that were very inaccessible were marked. We went and looked at some we have visited last summer and some were already either naturally collapsed or manmade collapse. The Hornerin mine was one of those.
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Do you remember any of the numbers or the format of the number? if it contains township range section and type of shaft/audit, vertical horizontal or prospect, then it most likely would be reclamation related...

Comment

• KDT1970
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Sep 2009

They were just 3 digit numbers like "127". There were even markers on mines I didn’t even know where there. and you can’t really tell there was a mine there until u go stand right next to the marker and u can see some really small openings. So who ever did it must have prior knowledge of the mines locations.

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Most of that area has been overtaken by Kennecott, look now while you can because if they do anything similar to the other side they will be fencing off and restricting all access. I heard that part of this was a deal with the BLM, remember when they closed off a chunk of land north of stockton, said that a fire had made the area contaminated?? Kennecott offered to clean it up for possession of all mineral and right of way.

Comment

• KDT1970
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Sep 2009

Ya I know Kennecott is a joke. They are completely decimating the entire mountain. Just like the joke at the point of the mountain by Lehi. That section is slowly disappearing. U would think that that the people that need gravel and rocks can use all of the left over rock from Kennecott.

Comment

Working...