X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radio2
    Mojave Child
    • Feb 2011

Mohawk mine, CA

Anyone expolred this mine? I have always wanted to check it out as I see it on the way to Las Vegs.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

I haven't heard of this one. What are the coordinates to it?
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• rhartill
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

Mining History of the Mescal Range, Ivanpah Mountains, and south Clark Mountain, San Bernardino County, California

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Mindat lists a ton of commodities. Probably a good mine! I'll have to check it out next time I head down that way.
        -Fish
        Mojave Mine Team
        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• tails
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Dec 2010

Its south of the Ruth mine in homewood canyon and is off limits. On my first visit to the Ruth we were going to stop my the Mohawk, but the road leading up to it was super rugged and we didn't have a 4x4. On my next visit the road was posted no tresspassing. And had a cable across the road. Even out in the middle of knowhere if you were to ignore the signs, the road goes right up behind several homes, so someone would definatley know your up there. The only way would be to hike it in several miles from the south to get in unoticed. And thats some nasty terrain. Unfortunaltey I added this to my "missed opportunities" list several years back. I did see sometime back a link to someone who explored this mine before it was posted.

coordinates
          35°52'43.71"N
          117°22'43.77"W

Comment

• radio2
            Mojave Child
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by tails
            Its south of the Ruth mine in homewood canyon and is off limits. On my first visit to the Ruth we were going to stop my the Mohawk, but the road leading up to it was super rugged and we didn't have a 4x4. On my next visit the road was posted no tresspassing. And had a cable across the road. Even out in the middle of knowhere if you were to ignore the signs, the road goes right up behind several homes, so someone would definatley know your up there. The only way would be to hike it in several miles from the south to get in unoticed. And thats some nasty terrain. Unfortunaltey I added this to my "missed opportunities" list several years back. I did see sometime back a link to someone who explored this mine before it was posted.

coordinates
            35°52'43.71"N
            117°22'43.77"W
            Damn that makes me mad, One of the links posted says that the cable on the road was done 3-2010. A few U-tube vids out there. I am not giving this one up yet, I am going to check my BLM maps and see if it is private property and go from there.

Comment

• Therrin
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Jan 2011

Any chance there's more than one mohawk mine in the area? Cuz I know that several of the guys from my other group (UER) have been to Mohawk Mine out there, several times over... and no issues at all.
              Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
              TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• rhartill
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

Yes, my earlier post and links are to the Mohawk mine right on the N side of I15 as you are heading to Baker, CA--visible from the Interstate. The Mohawk in Homewood Canyon near the Ruth is outside of TRONA, CA closer to Death Valley.

Here is a map of th Mohawk- near Ruth mine area:

and a pic:

Comment

• tails
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Dec 2010

My bad. I didn't realize there was more than one. Didn't mean to disappoint

Comment

Working...