X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ossyconno
    Mojave Teen
    • Jun 2010

Dragon Mine

Went to Delta UT yesterday for the job and stopped and toured around Silver City on the way home. It appears they are working a new tunnel at the Dragon mine over by the old headframe at the east end of the pit using a Underground Mining Loader and a Articulating Truck. Do any of you out there know what it is they are going after mineral wise? Looks as though they have exed out quit a bit of material already.
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

It is a clay that is used in making china plates, cups, etc. I'll see if I can dig up the name for you.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Danb
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Sep 2009

Derek is right.
      It is a rare clay called Halloysite. From what I remember it was pushed up into fractured bedrock and they have to wash it or scrape it off the rock. It has been several years since I researched that pit. I’m sure someone else here will have more detailed info. Just wish I had the gear and time to go down the shaft when I was there 20 years ago. Crap I’m getting old..
      We do it underground and under water.
      Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• Derek
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2008

Dan,

The shaft was in excellent condition 4 years ago and you didn't need any vertical gear. The manway was stable and in great shape at least it was as far as I went down without my exploring gear. Both times I was there, I didn't have my exploring setup with me so I didn't get to explore it all the way to the bottom. Does anyone know how deep the shaft was?
        -Derek
        Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Ossyconno
          Mojave Teen
          • Jun 2010

Thanks for the replies. I sure would like to be there if and when they break into any of the ancient workings around their ore zone. I can just imagine what might be found. Dan, do you have any plans of the ore bodies for this area?

Comment

• Danb
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Sep 2009

Hello everyone,

There might be some maps in this document http://www.silvercityminingcompany.c...ictsofutah.pdf

I do know they are called ore chimneys. The miners sank shafts paraell to the ore chimneys to depths of several hundred feet.

And thinking about it today, I remembered I have a video of the inside of the Mammoth Mine. A friend who worked for Centurion Mines took us in years ago. Below the buildings at the mine is an adit that accesses the mine. There are stopes so large our 3 combined Krypton Mag light beams just disappeared into the darkness.

I’ll post a link to the video when I get it compiled. And I will be traveling to Osceola, NV to check out a 20 acre claim I’m purchasing and will be going right through the Tintic area on my way and I plan to stop, maybe camp a night and revisit the area on the ATV and maybe head down a shaft. And get lots of photo's to share.

Thanks All,
            Danb
            We do it underground and under water.
            Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• rhartill
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jun 2008

Dragon mine

Some interesting research on the Dragon Mine-- scroll down far enough and you'll find a cross section of the clay deposit--which orginally was mined for Gold...

Comment

• lobster68w
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Dec 2008

This article-

claims the shaft is 450' deep.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Kiel
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Feb 2009

My book says the vertical shafts goes down until 1060 feet, the last level at 1025
                  Underground Baby!

Comment

• Derek
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Jul 2008

Hmm..interesting, it didn't seem that the shaft was that deep. I would have put it at 450 before 1025. Pretty cool either way, I wish that I would have explored it when I had the chance.
                    -Derek
                    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

Working...