X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • josh bernhard
    Mojave Teen
    • Jan 2011

Sliver Reef, December 2010, with link to pictures

Last December my father, brother and I went winter camping in Washington County. Our primary reason was to see Grafton, but we spent an extra night in Silver Reef. We chose the worst possible time to go- immediately after the flooding of the Virgin River that put Rockville under sandbags, and right in the middle of a blizzard. It was fun, thougn. If anybody has had experience with Kifaru tents (ours was actually a Teepee) they have an incredible insulating power for such thin material. The wood burning stove helped too, although needless to say we had an interesting time getting the truck open after a night of horizontal slush followed by freezing temps.

Luckily, it was sunny the rest of the day and it acutally got warm in time for lunch at the top of White Reef, which is just riddled with hundreds of shafts and adits. Most were gated over or blasted shut, but there were two that we could have squeezed inside if it wasn't so cold. It's on my "places to go back to" list, hopefully next time with warmer temperatures.

Does anybody recognize the mines that we visited?

Here's the link: Silver Reef Photos let me know if it doesn't work; This time it isn't from Skydrive.
    Josh Bernhard

Certified AATN* and professional rivet counter
    *All-Around Train Nut
  • silverstate55
    Mojave Teen
    • Oct 2010

Great photos, thanks!!! The scenery looks like it was well worth the inclement weather, thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Working...