• Show
Clear All
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

Tecopa Trip coming up, Feb 25-28th

Howdy folks,

I've been working on getting together some people in the SoCal area (and elsewhere, if interested). I've set up a date for a training session I'm teaching on basic mine safety, etiquette, and some rope skills. That's in Valencia, Ca on Feb 19th.

Then our Tecopa trip I scheduled on Feb 25 - 28th, which is a fri through mon. That way people who are free can come all four days, and people who have work or school can still hopefully show up for the weekend.

The training session and trip was originally created to teach and introduce new mine explorers to the sport in a safe and controlled manner, with some supervision. However, if any of you other more advanced guys and gals would like to meet up with them out there, that'd be awesome!

I might be interested in staying an extra day or two to do some more in-depth or technical exploration of some of the other spots out there that I've still been wanting to get to.

Throw out a post and let me know if anyone else is interested in coming!
    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Therrin,

I'm looking at my calendar to see if I can make it over that Sunday, Monday, or maybe Tuesday. I've been crazy busy between my two jobs and my best friend's mom. Still, I'd love to get over there and spend some time exploring. I'd be especially interested in some vertical exploring.

I'll stay in touch and let you know as soon as I have a solid answer.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jan 2011

awesome! sounds good =)

Comment

• Therrin
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jan 2011

Alright. I'm leaving tomorrow morning (fri am) and I should be there around noon. Some of the other guys are coming out friday night, and most of the other people are arriving saturday, with a couple straggling in on sunday and maybe monday. I'll staying till tuesday.

If anyone else is interested in showing up, it's basically fri - tues, meeting/camping at the rear (south) aka (east) entrance to the War Eagle mine, in Tecopa, Ca.

Comment

• tails
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Therrin
          Alright. I'm leaving tomorrow morning (fri am) and I should be there around noon. Some of the other guys are coming out friday night, and most of the other people are arriving saturday, with a couple straggling in on sunday and maybe monday. I'll staying till tuesday.

If anyone else is interested in showing up, it's basically fri - tues, meeting/camping at the rear (south) aka (east) entrance to the War Eagle mine, in Tecopa, Ca.
          Wish I could have made it. I'll see you back in the Panamint range on the 3/19 though hopefully.

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Looking forward to the trip report!
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Joanne
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by tails
              Originally posted by Therrin

Wish I could have made it. I'll see you back in the Panamint range on the 3/19 though hopefully.
              It would have been fun to meet you in person! We had a great trip (aren't they all?) with plenty of mines to explore. It was my first time exploring the Tecopa area and I was amazed at the number of mines right there. I could spend a week there and not hit all the mines. Wow!

Apart from the weather Saturday morning, it was pretty nice the remainder of the weekend. I was only able to stay two days so my time was limited. On the first day Ken, Matt and I did the Columbia. That was an amazing experience. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to ride the lumber cart. I had seen Youtube videos of it before so it was extra neat to actually be able to see it in person. The two drops were a lot of fun to rappel, but the climb back up was a work out! (I sit at a desk all day at work....) On the second day a couple of us wandered around the War Eagle. Compared to the mines around Vegas, the Tecopa mines are really large.

I'm really looking forward to returning to the area and doing some more exploring.

Ken, thanks for the great trip! Oh yeah, on an earlier trip Ken made a video of one of the Columbia's two vertical drops. Here's a link to that video: Dropping the Columbia

Joanne

I'll get some photos posted up as soon as I get a moment!
              Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Jan 2011

Trip Report found here:

Comment

Working...