• Show
Clear All
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

Moose Mine of Joshua Tree, Ca (video)

Howdy guys,

This last weekend the Underground Explorers did a trip out to Joshua Tree, Ca. We hit up several mines out there that they hadn't been inside yet. The trip report can be seen here, http://www.undergroundexplorers.com/news.htm

While on the trip I used my GoPro wide angle cam and shot some video. I editted my first video together last night, so it's a tad choppy, as I'm still learning how to effectively use the editing software to its full potential.

Here's what I've put together so far!

This is a video of the exploration of the Moose Mine in Joshua Tree, Ca; conducted by the Underground Explorers - (Mine Exploration / Survey / SAR) I filme...

I apparently still need to get at least a prototype going for my new headlamp systems so I can light up some more of the camera area. As it is I was using a Fenix HP20 headlamp with a Surefire diffuser clamped on the front. It still puts out quite a bit of a hotspot though.
    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Great start on the video! I really enjoyed the opportunity to "visit" the mine. It looks like it was a fun one to explore. Lots of technical sections to keep it interesting.

Looks like you guys had a great trip!

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• go_browns79
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Aug 2010

Great video, thanks for sharing. At the end of your video I noticed you have a carabiner through the top hole of your ascender, could you or anyone else explain the reason behind that. I'm new to rope work and always looking for a better, safer way to do anything inside a mine.
      Bill

Comment

• Therrin
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jan 2011

Thanks Joanne!

Go_browns79, I put the oval through the top loop of my handled ascender to "lock the rope in place". Otherwise if something caught the cam lever and pulled it out of position, the rope could potentially come out of the channel. The carabiner there locks the rope in so that it can't inadvertently come off rope unless I want it to. =)
        (oh, and get a helmet bro!)

Comment

• go_browns79
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Aug 2010

Thanks for the info. Do you know of any reasons I shouldn't be using hardhat with a chin strap vs. a real helmet ?

Bill

Comment

• Therrin
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Jan 2011

Uhh... no!

LOL, I was talking about your avatar picture =P

If you like the hardhat with chinstrap that's great =) I find they're a little bulkier than a lot of the actual climbing helmets, but as long as you've got a helmet then it's all good.

Cute shirt. =P

Comment

• go_browns79
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Aug 2010

That profile pic is from my first trip ever, i've slowly but surely been getting all my gear together. I will get a real helmet eventually but for now my free hard hat will do the trick.
              Bill

Comment

• Therrin
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Jan 2011

=D

I'm working on another video from the other stuff we dropped. Thankfully there's a bit more light in most of the stuff, except for the wonky descending shot where the light is pointed out one way and the camera another.. *sigh*. Oh GoPro, why must you tease me so much?

Comment

Working...