• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Sultan Mine revisited

Hi all!

This past Monday and Tuesday I had the opportunity to go mine exploring with Chris from http://abandonedmines.net. He had brought his gear with him so we decided to head over to the Sultan and explore the inclined shaft that Bill (go_browns79) had found on one of his earlier trips.

I apologize for this being a picture heavy post, but there was a lot to see. Many of these photos are ones that Chris shot, so a big thanks to him!

The first obstacle was crossing the infamous "bridge" with all our gear. While the bridge is in pretty good shape, the dropoffs on both sides definitely ups the fear factor. As we explored further we discovered that there is good reason not to fall off of this bridge.

Chris and I both brought our 200 foot ropes. Lucky for us they weren't any shorter! After rigging the anchor there was about 10 feet extra at the bottom of the drop. The ladder is in pretty good shape but there are a few places where it has some serious structural issues.

During the climb down, the ladder spans a large stoped out area then continues downward connecting to three different levels.

At each level is an ore hopper that intrudes into the inclined shaft. Ore carts would be lowered to that level, then filled from the level's hopper. This is hopper at the lowest level.

The lowest level was quite interesting and typical for most of the mines I have visited in this area.

One of the miners left his canteen down at the bottom.

You have to have safety fuses in a mine. You wouldn't want unsafe ones would you?

This is one of the few areas that are timbered. Unfortunately this drift ends at a pile of rubble. It looked like it might be able to be dug out to see if it continues further.

Here's Chris seeing if there are any other areas to explore. He found an ore chute that lead to the next level above.

We continued to explore the bottom level. There are plenty of interesting remnants to keep you busy with your camera.

Which way to go? Hummmm Ironically the two drifts join back together further back into the mine.

How's this for an ore chute? It's the largest one that I've seen so far!

Chris had his camera going non-stop and got some really great photos. I can only imagine the size of his photo library.

It's a long way back up!

Here is second level "station". In the foreground you can see where the ore hopper is built just below grade. Ore carts would be wheeled up and dumped into the hopper. The ore would then be transferred to a cart on the inclined shaft.

The second level drift lead to a huge stope. This stope extends below the bottom of the inclined shaft and extends above the collar of the inclined shaft. I'm guessing it's close to 250 feet tall. It's also about 100 feet in diameter. This is the same drift that the "bridge" at the top level crosses.

Looking all the way across the stope, you can see the continuation of the drift. Obviously the miners stoped out this area after the original drift was built.

Upon returning to the bottom level station, we headed up the ladder to what is the first level below the collar.

This level has a great example of the ore chute.

Here I am getting off at this first level. What's not obvious is that it's another 60 feet down to the bottom. You are standing on an 10 inch wide board over a 60 foot drop. Did I mention that I'm afraid of heights?

Once again, this level's drift opens right into the giant stope. You wouldn't want to make a mis-step right here. It would be an ugly landing!

Here's an interesting feature. It's the first time I've seen a grizzly from the bottom side.

Although this picture was taken in the Accident mine, I had to include it here. Left to right it's Erin, Chris, and Joanne. This was Erin's first time in a mine and she did great! She stayed up on the main level while Chris and I explored the depths. If you ever get the opportunity to explore with Chris, don't miss it!

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

Woohoo! Great write-up Joanne. I love threads written up with pictures all through like that. =D

I love the picture of the ore chute device and the grizzly!

That ore chute employs what's called a "Hand operated over-cut arc gate". Upon seeing it in your photo I had to go dig out my copy of "Operating Ideas for Small Mines" to look it up where I remembered seeing the drawing plate of all the different main types.
    I would love to see some more of the different types. As yet I've still been mostly stuck with the "Stop board chute" types =(

Looks like you guys had a great time though!!
    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• Kiel
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

Well by how much stuff was still down there, not many people have braved that ladder. That carbide can looks sweet, I almost thought it said shananigans carbide. Looks like you picked out a sweet one for your first vertical mine drop. Nice report
      Underground Baby!

Comment

• Dino
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Jan 2009

Excellent write up Joanne! Love the pictures and storyline. It really takes you there. That mine's got some scary drop offs so it's refreshing to see you using all the proper fall protection gear. Posts like this are good examples that abandoned mine exploration doesn't have to be a dangerous or fool hardy activity. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Thanks guys!

It was a really great day. There's still a few areas in the mine that I haven't been into. Darn, I'll have to do another day or two of exploring! From the 200 level, there is a way across the large stope to the far side. From where we were standing though you just can't tell how much further the mine extends. It's going to require climbing over there to see what's on the other side. (There's a chicken crossing the road joke in there somewhere.....)

Also, everything we explored so far is on one side of the bridge. On the opposite side of the bridge there is also a drop off into a stope. I can't tell how big it is without climbing down in it. It waits for another day.

Therrin, thanks for the info about chute gate! What isn't shown in the picture is that there are two chutes, one just above the other. It was hard to get the photo while hanging off the ladder. A real wide angle lens would have helped too. I read your PMs and will respond when I get a moment. I'm getting ready to head into St. George Utah to help a friend whose mother has late stage cancer.

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• silverstate55
            Mojave Teen
            • Oct 2010

WOW, fantastic photos & write-up!! Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes to your friend & friend's mother.

Comment

• Joanne
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by silverstate55
              WOW, fantastic photos & write-up!! Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes to your friend & friend's mother.
              Thanks about the writeup. I'll pass along your best wishes.

I'm still planning on heading back up to the Bullion and chasing those ladders. After doing the ones at the Sultan, I have a whole new respect for your photos!!!

Joanne

Comment

• silverstate55
                Mojave Teen
                • Oct 2010

I have a better camera (a Canon digital), but haven't figured out how to use it yet nor do I have a flash unit for it. So I'll stick with the crappy digital Fuji for the present.

Back in April 2010 my Intrepid Exploring Partner & I made it to the bridge shown in your first photo, but from the opposite side:

She had a few concerns about crossing that bridge when we came to it, so we turned around at that point.

Neat photos you posted, now I want to get my roping gear and explore your footsteps!!

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Wow, great trip report Joanne!

Its awesome what areas are opened up when you start to do vertical exploring.
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Joanne
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by silverstate55
                    Neat photos you posted, now I want to get my roping gear and explore your footsteps!!
                    Bill (go_browns79) and I are going to try to get out to practice rappelling and ascending this next weekend. I'm not sure which day yet, but you are welcome to go with us. You can use my gear to practice with. That will also help you decide what you want to buy for your own gear.

Joanne

Comment

• Joanne
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Stuart
                      Wow, great trip report Joanne!

Its awesome what areas are opened up when you start to do vertical exploring.
                      Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the pics.

You are right about adding vertical to my exploring skill set. I didn't realize quite how quickly I would put it to good use.

Joanne

Comment

• Joanne
                        Mojave Outlaw
                        • Jul 2009

I was hunting for information about the Sultan mine and found a great old resource. It thoroughly documents the geology and the mines in the Goodsprings district. This document was created in the 1920s and was published in 1931.

Goodsprings Mining District Geology Report

Pretty amazing pictures from then and now.

Joanne

Comment

• silverstate55
                          Mojave Teen
                          • Oct 2010

Thanks Joanne!! What a great resource!! Information on some of the lesser mines in the Goodsprings District is extremely hard to find, and I really appreciate you sharing this one with us!

Two sites I've leaned heavily on for information on mines are the Hometown Locator site (search for physical features like mines, by county for each state):
                          Nevada Physical, Cultural & Historic Features and Landmarks with maps, driving direction and local resources.

What I like best about it is the included Google Map feature on each individual page, where I can double-check the name & coordinates of each listed mine. A major shortcoming, however, is that there are some good-sized mines that AREN'T listed, and that is the case for every county I've searched using it.

The other is the Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology website, searching their library of scanned documents:

I could spend WEEKS straight browsing through all the great material on this website... UNR has done a fantastic job of scanning old documents into the NBMG site.

Thanks again Joanne!!

Comment

Working...