• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dino
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Jan 2009

John Dooly

Just thought I'd share this little bit of Utah history with those interested.

I began researching the person who patented the claim I currently own near Ophir and here is what I came up with.

The name listed on the claim is John Dooly and from what I've found he was an agent for Wells Fargo who came from San Francisco in the late 1800's to establish the bank in Salt Lake. He was also a board member for the Salt Lake School board and was one of the few prominent non-mormon business leaders in early utah history. I also found some information on him in the history of Antelope Island.

It's been a lot of fun and interesting to know him beyond just a name on the claim. I can only imagine what his interests were in Ophir at the time. I wonder what he would have thought if he knew that 100+ years later he would still be thought of.

Here is a copy of the amended claim;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

John Dooly, Sr. also purchased Antelope Island for one million dollars ( wow! a million in 1893 dollars; I can't imagine what that would be in todays money.) and established the Island Improvement Company. Dooly is responsible for the introduction of the Bison herd. He brought twelve bison to the island.[5] Four bulls, four cows, and four calves were transported by boat on February 15, 1893.[9] At the time there were fewer than 1,000 head if Bison in all of North America.[6] Historians speculate that Dooly introduced the herd to the island for commercial purposes with the idea of establishing a rare opportunity for hunters to take the nearly extinct American Bison.[6] The twelve bison became the foundation of a herd that numbers between 500-700 animals, making it one of the largest and oldest publicly owned American Bison herds in the United States.[9]

By dchacon at 2010-12-13

This is photo of the Dooly Building which used to be on 200 South and West Temple in Salt Lake City before being demolished in 1964

By dchacon at 2010-12-13

Here is a photo of his mansion which still exists on 500 East and South Temple

By dchacon at 2010-12-13

J
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• John
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Oct 2008

Very cool.

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Great research Dino. How is your place in Marysvale coming along?
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Dino
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Jan 2009

Marysvale is going well, thanks for asking. I'm looking forward to getting back there in the spring to start on the inside plumbing and remodeling. Believe it or not, but this little house never had hot water and at various times was expanded to include a bedroom and bathroom even though it's only 500 sq feet. My guess is people in those days didn't want a big house to have to chop wood for and heat in the winter. The debris in the corner of the lot was once an older cabin that has long since eroded with time.

Since noticing the construction was similar to that of the Tushar Mountain Trader shop, I decided to ask the owner of the trade shop about it and found out that it (and his shop) were hauled down from the abandoned gold mines in Kimberly during the depression. Below are some photos of the before and after. It's been a lot of hard work bringing it back to life, but well worth it.

Before pic 1

By dchacon at 2010-12-15
          Before pic 2

By dchacon at 2010-12-15
          After pic 1

By dchacon at 2010-12-15
          After pic 2

By dchacon at 2010-12-15

Comment

• Kiel
            Mojave Miner
            • Feb 2009