• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike369
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Sep 2010

Winter mine adventures

Since the snow has started to fall I have not been out to a mine. This is ridiculous. I need to get out anf explore. Does anybody know of some mines that are accessibly even though there is snow on the ground? What I mean by that is; are there any mines that I can hike a short distance to or drive to without going through 2 feet of snow?
    On a side note what does everybody else do during the winter months when it is harder to get out exploring? I don't want to hear it from the Vegas guys either. I am jealous of the year round good weather down there.

• KDT1970
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Sep 2009

I dont know of any in the winter, but it really bugs me too not to be able to go mine exploring in the winter.

Comment

• Rubyredvet
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Sep 2010

Winter does make it tough. Might be some in the western desert that you can get to and maybe more people will chime in. I'm getting ready for snowmobiling so I probably won't be looking for mines until next spring. Had hoped to go to the Eldorado Mine above Willard, UT around Thanksgiving but the weather went bad. Post if you find anything interesting.

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Re: Winter mine adventures

Originally posted by Mike369
        I don't want to hear it from the Vegas guys either. I am jealous of the year round good weather down there.
        Since I'm a Vegas GAL, does that mean that I can rub it in about our year round mine exploring weather? Sounds like you guys need to organize a winter "field trip" down here.

On the other hand, I was out standing in the middle of a motorcycle training range all weekend. It was more than cold enough for me. Wasn't too bad when the sun came out and the wind died down, but there were times when it got pretty chilly (for here at least).

Joanne
        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Kiel
          Mojave Miner
          • Feb 2009

Last year we did some pony express area stuff in Feb. through the snow without too much trouble, just can't do it right after the storms
          Underground Baby!

Comment

• ExpUt
            True Mojave
            • Jul 2008

West Desert (Newfies, Deep Creeks, Silver Island Mtns, etc), Swell area, Moab lower elevations, St. George area.
            Kurt Williams
            CruiserOutfitters.com
            ExpeditionUtah.com
            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike369
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Sep 2010

Moab sounds like fun. Are the uranium mines okay to go into down there? We need to get a MU trip together over the winter.

Comment

• Kiel
                Mojave Miner
                • Feb 2009

I would like to do the silver mtns
                Underground Baby!

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

There are loads of places to go in the winter, some of the best places actually because the mines tend to be drier and have less deterioration.

I'm really liking the Silver Island Mtns idea, what does everyone think about making a trip to head out to Wendover and then out there in January?
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• ndonaldj
                    Mojave Baby
                    • Dec 2010

I would love to go out there if someone would be willing to carpool...

Comment

• mcsmitheslc
                      Mojave Baby
                      • Dec 2010

Oh good, I was trying to look for good places to check out in the winter. Figure water issues are a little better since it can be frozen. Obviously, warmth and wetness preparations are advisable, but that is good to know.

Comment

Working...