• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lobster68w
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Dec 2008

Gold Hill claimed?

Anyone know the scoop on the new "no trespassing" and "private property" spray paintings on the entrance to the 150' level and the next one below it?

There are no claim signs/markers/etc around. I haven't been out there since spring, but this is new to me. Sorry, no pics....

Éirinn go Brách
  • one_bad_rover

Gold hill is private and patented, it's owned by Clifton mining company(the owners of the mill and equipment in town). They may be preparing to re-open, or just planning on starting to enforce the trespassing laws via blm. I've heard from a few people in the last few months that have been cited for trespassing on patented claims. Apparently the ticket is $525.00 unless you fight it! Russ would be a good resource if you do get ticketed. Or just know who owns the ground you are on. Patent land holders are notoriously vigilant about securing their mines. Makes me wonder if the new blm push isn't to fine people into submission.

Comment

• Dino
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Jan 2009

It wouldn't suprise me if there was some government interest in another source of revenue. I think most individual patent owners would accomodate someone wanting to do a little exploring if they were to seek permission. I'm always looking for people interested in exploring my claim and have enough trouble just getting friends to want to go out and visit it. However, I also understand a person wanting to keep their claims from getting trashed by tresspassers. I'm not sure with corporations though because it seems like its hard to get to the right people for permission let alone wanting to accept any liability for people getting hurt. Another option most people don't look into is a lease option if you want to do more than just exploring. In any case it's alway better to do a little property ownership homework at the mining district/county recorders office before hand. It could save a lot of trouble, headache, bad feelings or in some cases your life.

Comment

• rhartill
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

The latest on Gold Hill property owners:

Since Dutch Mtn is targeted for reclamation in 2011, patented mineowners may be under some pressure from BLM/DOGM now to mark openings themselves if they do not wish to have the DOGM preferred closure imposed upon them. Even patented mineowners can be subject to the DOGM closure regimen unless they proactively mark and mitigate the perceived "danger." I agree that it is always a good idea to consult with private landowners and obtain advanced permission before exploring privately owned mine openings. And by all means, if anyone does get a ticket for trespassing, please email me via PM to discuss your options...

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

I've been though Gold Hill a couple of times in the last few weeks and noticed a new sign just south of town for a mining company. Its near the intersection of the Pony Express and the turnoff to Ibapah. I can't remember the company name but I don't think it was Clifton? It was ____ Gold Mining and it looked as if they were doing something up on the hill to the east.
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Joanne
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ExpUt
            I've been though Gold Hill a couple of times in the last few weeks and noticed a new sign just south of town for a mining company. Its near the intersection of the Pony Express and the turnoff to Ibapah. I can't remember the company name but I don't think it was Clifton? It was ____ Gold Mining and it looked as if they were doing something up on the hill to the east.
            With the price of gold going up as it is and no end in sight, I can imagine that a lot of marginal prospects will be given a second look. I know that up towards Beatty, NV there are some rumors of mining activity starting back up. I don't know if they have actually started doing core samples and assays or if they just know that the area was worked in the early 1900s and want to see what might still be there.

Are we going to be on hand to watch another "gold rush" as prices skyrocket?

Joanne
            Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• acidman1968
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Joanne
              Originally posted by ExpUt
              With the price of gold going up as it is and no end in sight, I can imagine that a lot of marginal prospects will be given a second look. I know that up towards Beatty, NV there are some rumors of mining activity starting back up. I don't know if they have actually started doing core samples and assays or if they just know that the area was worked in the early 1900s and want to see what might still be there.

Are we going to be on hand to watch another "gold rush" as prices skyrocket?

Joanne
              In many ways, the downturn of the economy started a second "California Gold Rush" when people started going out to rivers, streams, and such and began panning for gold on weekends. They figured it would be a way to get some extra cash... Even folks with metal detectors have been cruising riverbanks and such in the hope of finding a small nugget or five (from time to time I check out a message board of metal detecting enthusiasts).

And yes, the increased gold (and silver) price has sparked many mining companies to take a second or third look at old historic mining areas to see whether they'd work as a quick profit for minimal investment.
              I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

Working...