X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • go_browns79
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Aug 2010

Delamar Mine, Nevada

I recently explored a mine in the ghost town of Delamar, NV. This was my third trip ever and the first large mine I've been in. It is about two hours north of Las Vegas then about another 13 miles down a gravel road. Besides the mine there are the remains of the town, mill and a grave yard dating back to the late 1800's. The mine was running from 1889 till around 1902, this mine is nicknamed "The Widow -Maker" for the dry drilling method that killed many of the miners. At one point Delamar had over 400 widows.

me in front of the mine entrance

We only explored a small part of this mine and found 3 shafts, all were about 150' deep I'm guessing. I was warned the shaft at the underground hoist room is very unstable at the bottom and could collapse.

These pics are from the old mill which is a few miles before the mine

The entire album can be viewed at http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/...Mine%20Nevada/
    Bill
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Looks like a fun way to spend a day - or three! Thanks for the pics!
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Great photos! I'm looking forward to getting together and doing some exploring. I don't think we'll have any lack of places to go! Now that the temps are starting to cool off it's going to be the perfect time to head out. There's a guy at work that is also interested and has been out with me a couple of times.

If we are camping, I'll throw in a Dutch Oven or two so we can enjoy some good chow.

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• offroadcmpr
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Feb 2009

I have been to Delamar several times. The first time I went I think I explored that entrance that you went in I think. The second time we went up to a upper entrance. There is a small road that goes up higher up the mountain and there was a entrance there. It took a while to explore it. I remember one room where there was lots of debris on the ground and the ceiling went up about 50 or 60 feet. THe room was at least a hundred feet around. Most of it was just falling apart though. You had to be really careful in that area though. I haven't been back in years though, but it is definitely a good one to explore.

Comment

• Derek
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2008

Great Pics!
          -Derek
          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

Working...