X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwurst
    Mojave Baby
    • Aug 2010

Hidden Falls Mine

Was wondering if anyone knew the name of the mine entrance at the base of hidden falls in big cottonwood canyon just above the S curve, I think i may have found another way into this mine but don't know anything about it and don't want to go exploring without a little background info, any help would be great.

thanks.
    If god hadn't wanted man to explore he wouldn't have made us mobile!
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

The one at N 40° 38' 6.979", W 111° 43' 22.048"?

Nothing named or notable that I can find. A drain tunnel for the Maxfield Mine was started but only extended a short distance. Another tunnel extends ~35' NE from the base of Hidden Falls. The only prospect name I see is the 'Squirrel' prospect, operated around the turn of the century by Sam McNutt, a local hermit. Lady in the Ore Bucket might detail a bit more? All my info comes from the USGS Big Cottonwood Mining District history/survey published in 1979.
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• dwurst
      Mojave Baby
      • Aug 2010

Thanks for the information i was having trouble finding anything at all on it other than it was there.
      If god hadn't wanted man to explore he wouldn't have made us mobile!

Comment

• Danb
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Sep 2009

Growing up at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, I have been in this tunnel many times years ago. It goes in a few hundred feet and ends.

I haven’t been there in years and it may be closed now?

And I was just thinking of the Maxfield mine a few days ago and remembered the 2 guys that where lost in there for a few days and where rescued. About 1987 ? The lower entrance is now closed but a short hike will take you to the upper entrance. Don’t know if it is open. If you lost your lighting like they did, it would be very difficult to find your way back out.

Dan
        We do it underground and under water.
        Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Danb
          ...And I was just thinking of the Maxfield mine a few days ago and remembered the 2 guys that where lost in there for a few days and where rescued. About 1987 ? The lower entrance is now closed but a short hike will take you to the upper entrance. Don’t know if it is open. If you lost your lighting like they did, it would be very difficult to find your way back out....
          The lower entrance has all the water pouring out of it right? Do you know 'how' they closed it? I'd be interested to know more about the upper entrance... anyone?
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Danb
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Sep 2009

Yes, the lower entrance has the pipe with water draining out. Not the one further up the canyon also with water draining out (no pipe).
            Years ago you could climb above the pipe and look down into the tunnel. We went in/down about 10 feet to find the tunnel with about
            4 feet of ice cold water. I didn’t have a wet suit at the time. Then a few years later we found it had caved. Natural or man made, I don’t know.

The upper entrance is up Mill A Gulch. About here: N 40° 38’43.74” W 111° 40’ 58.96. About a 30 min. hike. We went in about 100-200 ft. Then droped down about 10 ft. over back filled rocks. The whole lower tunnel was lined with back filled rocks. You had to see the painted arrows or other signs to know where to climb up to get out.

Danb
            We do it underground and under water.
            Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Danb
              Yes, the lower entrance has the pipe with water draining out. Not the one further up the canyon also with water draining out (no pipe).
              Years ago you could climb above the pipe and look down into the tunnel. We went in/down about 10 feet to find the tunnel with about
              4 feet of ice cold water. I didn’t have a wet suit at the time. Then a few years later we found it had caved. Natural or man made, I don’t know.

The upper entrance is up Mill A Gulch. About here: N 40° 38’43.74” W 111° 40’ 58.96. About a 30 min. hike. We went in about 100-200 ft. Then droped down about 10 ft. over back filled rocks. The whole lower tunnel was lined with back filled rocks. You had to see the painted arrows or other signs to know where to climb up to get out.

Danb
              Cool, I'll have to get up there and check that out. I've got workings maps of the Maxfield and they show it as a fairy extensive mine.

I've been digging for more info on those stuck in the Maxfield Mine, came up with one of their names from a DOGM webpage "Dennis Workman, a Salt Lake resident trapped in the Maxfield mine for 56 hours". Given it happened pre-Internet days I'd likely have to do some archive digging to find more info.
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• $ alex $
                Mojave Teen
                • May 2010

is the Maxfield Tunnel the one near the hidden falls, or is it the one at the base of Mineral Fork? just wondering... i would love to hear more about secondary entrances!!!
                Alex
                *I always invite info on explorable mines in or around the Cottonwood Canyons area!

Comment

Working...