X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stin
    Mojave Baby
    • Aug 2010

Blm,DOGM,RIO TINTO

Hey all, Just an FYI. Last couple of days there been a helicoptor flying around the old mines here in stockton,Its possible the one day it landed.not sure though i was getting some coffee and looked out the kitchen window as it appeared out one of the little canyon areas then it kept flying south along the ridge line flying very slow.
    This morning same thing but it flew over the house heading toward the north willow area.Helicoptor was unmarked so just a heads up that they maybe getting ready to close up some of the mines.
  • one_bad_rover

hehehe, wouldnt worry too much. BLM doesnt have helicoptors for recon, Rio Tinto might, but they already know what they want.
    Ive got a friend with a helicoptor and we have done some nice low altitude recon, thats most likely what it is, someone just got their license and is racking up some hours with some exploration to boot!

Comment

• KDT1970
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Sep 2009

When I was out to the skin diver mine, last week I seen that helicopter also. I just assumed it was from the military base there.
      Seems odd though I thought You needed special permission to fly that low.

Comment

• rhartill
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

Are Elk in the area? Utah DWR Division of Wildlife Resources use contract helicopters to count elk...

Comment

• acidman1968
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by rhartill
          Are Elk in the area? Utah DWR Division of Wildlife Resources use contract helicopters to count elk...

http://westinstenv.org/wibio/2010/03...counting-deer/
          That could be a big part of it... There are usually quite a few elk down in the hills above Stockton. Last fall, my son and I were up by the old Argent Mine area and we spotted a pretty good sized bull with a small group of cows in his harem.
          I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• cherokeepilot85
            Mojave Teen
            • Apr 2009

I am a private pilot who flies small planes. While I am not certified in a helicopter the Federal Aviation Regulations are the same, for the most part, for both small plane or helicopter. The minimum altitude is 1000ft above the ground over populated areas (unless landing or departing at an airport). If the plane is not over a populated area than the pilot can fly as low as he/she wants, as long as the aircraft is not within 500 feet of any person, building, vehicle, or vessel.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was just a private party flying over the area.
            - Craig

Comment

Working...