• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnderUtah
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Buffalo Mine Project

After Gold Rush Expeditions acquired the Buffalo Mine some members of Mojave Underground set-out to make some improvements at the site. A new gate system was designed and installed, then modified after some vandalism. This weekend an interpretive sign describing some of the Buffalo's history and mining techniques was installed along with some regulatory mine claim signage. Our hope is that visitors can read about the site, see the mine (without entering without permission) and get a feel for the history. Two of our major goals are to preserve and document Utah's mining history; and along with our documentary work, the improvements at the Buffalo Mine should be a great step towards promoting awareness and interest in what we do. Of course, these projects require a lot of talent, time, and money. Many thanks go to those who assisted financially and physically in this multiple-weekend project. We hope to have many more opportunities to promote mining history in this fashion, and public and member support makes it all happen. Call now and receive this wonderful tote bag...wait...nevermind...that's my KUER fund drive line.

Miah
    Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Re: Buffalo Mine Project

Originally posted by UnderUtah
    After Gold Rush Expeditions acquired the Buffalo Mine some members of Mojave Underground set-out to make some improvements at the site. A new gate system was designed and installed, then modified after some vandalism. This weekend an interpretive sign describing some of the Buffalo's history and mining techniques was installed along with some regulatory mine claim signage. Our hope is that visitors can read about the site, see the mine (without entering without permission) and get a feel for the history. Two of our major goals are to preserve and document Utah's mining history; and along with our documentary work, the improvements at the Buffalo Mine should be a great step towards promoting awareness and interest in what we do. Of course, these projects require a lot of talent, time, and money. Many thanks go to those who assisted financially and physically in this multiple-weekend project. We hope to have many more opportunities to promote mining history in this fashion, and public and member support makes it all happen. Call now and receive this wonderful tote bag...wait...nevermind...that's my KUER fund drive line.

After some manipulation of your links in your post, I was able to see your pics. Good job!!!

I'd love to help out on some of the surface jobs - at least until I get some of my own gear so I can join the underground explorations...
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Troy
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Mar 2009

Nice work Miah! That's a lot of work, and a lot of work that many of us could not do. Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to make our hobby safer, as well as educational for the passers by!!
      Troy E.

Comment

• Danb
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Sep 2009

Troy is right on! Good job Miah!
        We do it underground and under water.
        Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• Stuart
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Fixed your photos.

Of course, these projects require a lot of talent, time, and money.
          We are forever grateful for all you do for MU and the mining history community as a whole. Someday I hope to be able to compensate you for even a fraction of all you have contributed.

Thank you Miah!
          -Stuart Burgess
          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
          Burgess Exploration LLC
          http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
          Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Stuart
            Fixed your photos.

We are forever grateful for all you do for MU and the mining history community as a whole. Someday I hope to be able to compensate you for even a fraction of all you have contributed.

Thank you Miah!

Any ideas on who to contact about going on a group mine exploration in the area with members of this group? Do they send out messages when they are planning one, or is it set up privately? Spring is coming and I am getting mine fever! I would also love to help out with any mine improvement projects that they need help with.

I have also been researching the mine reclamation that is going on with the government and am quite disappointed to hear that many of these mines are being closed and buried forever. Is there anything that I can do, petitions I can sign, people to contact to somehow have this stopped? It is very aggravating to me that this is going on when many of the abandoned mines are safe to enter and explore with proper training and equipment. Any info would be appreciated on any of these topics.
            Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace

Comment

• Kiel
              Mojave Miner
              • Feb 2009

This mine was sold several years ago
              Underground Baby!

Comment

• Jeff
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Brahmabull1018
                Any ideas on who to contact about going on a group mine exploration in the area with members of this group? Do they send out messages when they are planning one, or is it set up privately? Spring is coming and I am getting mine fever! I would also love to help out with any mine improvement projects that they need help with.

I have also been researching the mine reclamation that is going on with the government and am quite disappointed to hear that many of these mines are being closed and buried forever. Is there anything that I can do, petitions I can sign, people to contact to somehow have this stopped? It is very aggravating to me that this is going on when many of the abandoned mines are safe to enter and explore with proper training and equipment. Any info would be appreciated on any of these topics.
                I would say to visit the meetup site by clicking the meetup link.
                Jeff
                Mojave Mine Team
                Follow me on Facebook

Comment

Working...