• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danb
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Sep 2009

Chloride Point Mine

After the Buffalo Mine Exploration on 7 AUG 10, I went up to the Chlroide Point Mine and saw the area where a harness is required to cross.
    It looked to be about 50 feet?

I have about 100 ft. of stainless steel stranded ¼” cable. Never used. You can run your hand down it and get now slivers.
    I would like to donate it to MU and GRE for a safety cable for the Chloride Point or other mines. I have know use for it.

Let me know if you want this cable,

Thanks,
    We do it underground and under water.
    Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

• Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Yeah Dan we could definitely use something like that for a safety line. For the upcomming trip we will be using a steel caving ladder, but the cable could be used for a more permanent solution.
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Rubyredvet
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Sep 2010

Any date set for this trip?

Comment

• acidman1968
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Rubyredvet
        Any date set for this trip?
        It already happened. There are pics from this trip posted in the gallery.
        I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Rubyredvet
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Sep 2010

Guess I should have found you guys earlier. When you going again??? Looks like a good one to go into.

Comment

• Rubyredvet
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Sep 2010

Taking 4-wheelers on the Jacob City atv trail from Stockton on Sunday. 1st time there for my brother and me. Are there any mines still open or are the all closed? Any hints on where to go in that area would be appreciated.

Comment

• acidman1968
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Rubyredvet
              Taking 4-wheelers on the Jacob City atv trail from Stockton on Sunday. 1st time there for my brother and me. Are there any mines still open or are the all closed? Any hints on where to go in that area would be appreciated.
              Are you planning on doing the route up the old toll road from the truck parking lot that Tooele County has set up, and then going down Dry Canyon and across the power line road back to the parking area?

I guess whichever way you go to get there, the vast majority of the mines in that area have either been caved in / buried or gated off by the government in the name of "safety". Toward the bottom of the canyon, there are a couple of mines that people have cut the bars in the gates so they could access them, and if you go quite a way off the beaten path, you also stand a chance of finding a few shallow mines tha haven't been closed.

There are some ore bins still standing down in the area where the town of Jacob City once was, and way off the beaten path, there are a few cabins still standing - with the exception of the cabin up by "shoefly hill" which is one you can ride right up to (I've never been there, but I've been told about that one - as well as how it's been getting abused / vandalized by people).

Out by the Queen of the Hills mine - and you'll have to do some hiking to get to it - there are still some old pieces of machinery such as a steam powered hoist / winch, and an old boiler rusting away in the brush (I've posted pics of them here in a thread in the "Trip Reports" section if I remember correctly).

All in all, if you've never been to the Jacob City area, you'll have a great time. The scenery is awesome, the canyon is rugged, and if you get off the ATVs and hike for awhile, you can see a few of the less-visited areas.

Have a good, safe time.
              I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• btay801
                Mojave Teen
                • Jul 2009

The Utah Queen has a gate that you can squeeze through. But the Hidden Treasure is locked up tight.(You will see the MU gate that Miah built at the vertical entrance.) The H.T. entrance is just behind the water tower. Have fun and be safe! If you have lots of time there is an awesome atv trail that connects Jacob sity to Ophir canyon.

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Sep 2010

Thanks for the quick replies. We're gonna try to get an early start and spend the day in that area, if we don't get too lost. lol Hopefully in the near future, we can tag along with someone who knows the area or even better someone that has the keys to the mine. If we have the time, we will try to go from Jacob City to Ophir. Hard to judge time or distance when it's the 1st time. Just got the 4-wheeler 4 weeks ago. Used to take the dirt bike in the hills before I got the 4-wheeler. The Stockton, Jacob City and Ophir area have always been on my "to do" list so we're gonna do it. I quess its better late than never. If anyone from this forum is up there, watch for a red/black and a black/black Polaris Sportsman XP with 2 guys who look lost. Stop us and point us in the right direction. Or tune in to the 10:00 news.

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by btay801
                    The Utah Queen has a gate that you can squeeze through. But the Hidden Treasure is locked up tight.(You will see the MU gate that Miah built at the vertical entrance.) The H.T. entrance is just behind the water tower. Have fun and be safe! If you have lots of time there is an awesome atv trail that connects Jacob sity to Ophir canyon.
                    Where is the Utah Queen?

Comment

• btay801
                      Mojave Teen
                      • Jul 2009

It is on the west side of of Jacob City. It is obscured by bushes, but there is a cement footing that is just south east of the adit. It is west of the ore bins. There is also a cool dug out on the same hill, you follow a trail to get to it. It is just south of the Utah Queen.

Comment

• Rubyredvet
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by btay801
                        It is on the west side of of Jacob City. It is obscured by bushes, but there is a cement footing that is just south east of the adit. It is west of the ore bins. There is also a cool dug out on the same hill, you follow a trail to get to it. It is just south of the Utah Queen.
                        Thanks, directions were right on. Explored for a couple of hours. Stayed in main tunnel. Didn't try any other levels, although there seemed to be quite a few. The day was perfect. Not very many people on the roads, fall colors were beautiful and temps were perfect. The only bummer was the vast anount of garbage the we encountered. Pop and water bottles, beer cans, potato chip bags, cigarette wrappers, even the remains of a computer monitor. These items were everywhere both topside and underground. If people pack this crap in, why can't or won't they pack it back out??? Next trip up the the area, we are going to take some type of basket on our 4-wheelers and try to pick up as much as we can.

Dave

Comment

Working...