Sheeprock Mtns, National Forest, and private property.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lobster68w
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Dec 2008

Sheeprock Mtns, National Forest, and private property.

Well, I finally plotted out the mines I wanted to go check out up in the Sheeprocks. They were the Tintic Delaware, Dutch Peak, Sheeprock Placer. Each was in a separate canyon with a road leading up. All were on marked Forest Service roads. Everyone was gated and marked "Private Property". I went home and pulled out the Uinta NF map of that area and it has marked FS roads heading up, passing through plots of private land.

Shouldn't this be public accessible with Utah's Right-A-Way laws?

I'm thinking I might call the Tooele Sheriff and Forest Service on Tuesday.

Éirinn go Brách
  • Skylinerider
    Mojave Teen
    • Nov 2008

Do it. I'm all for private property rights, but it seems many property owners don't understand (or don't care) that you can't block off a public road just because it crosses your property.
    www.drycanyonmaps.com

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

Which NF Travel Map are you using? With each revision they often eliminate routes, particularly where private holding issues exist, unfortunately state ROW and RS2477 laws do not necessarily apply to Forest Service land as in almost all Utah cases the Forest's inception pre-dates the creation of the roads. That's not to say that some interpretations don't validate the use, but the Forest Service does not recognize any claims and very little efforts to fight their closures in this manner have been successful (ie none that I can readily think of).

Also, if the mine claims are current, there might be some issue there too? Mine owners are allowed to keep their holdings secure, particularly if the roads in question were actually built to access their mine(s) in the first place.

I would check with the latest travel map (available on their website) and go from there. If in deed there are illegal closures, call them on it!
      Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• lobster68w
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ExpUt
        Which NF Travel Map are you using? With each revision they often eliminate routes, particularly where private holding issues exist, unfortunately state ROW and RS2477 laws do not necessarily apply to Forest Service land as in almost all Utah cases the Forest's inception pre-dates the creation of the roads. That's not to say that some interpretations don't validate the use, but the Forest Service does not recognize any claims and very little efforts to fight their closures in this manner have been successful (ie none that I can readily think of).

Also, if the mine claims are current, there might be some issue there too? Mine owners are allowed to keep their holdings secure, particularly if the roads in question were actually built to access their mine(s) in the first place.

I would check with the latest travel map (available on their website) and go from there. If in deed there are illegal closures, call them on it!

It's the "motor vehicle use map" 2009. I pulled it off the website.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by lobster68w
          ...It's the "motor vehicle use map" 2009. I pulled it off the website.
          Light up their phones
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...