• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark1955
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

Mines Southwest Of St. George

Anyone on here ever explored out there? Am going to check out this area this afternoon. There are a number of mines in a smallish area. Paymaster Mine, Jessie Mine, Jubilee Mine, Dewey Mine Etc.

Mark
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Re: Mines Southwest Of St. George

Hey Mark,

Did you make it out to explore those mines? If so, I'd like to hear more about them. I get up to St. George a couple of times a year and would be interested in checking them out as well.

Joanne

Originally posted by Mark1955
    Anyone on here ever explored out there? Am going to check out this area this afternoon. There are a number of mines in a smallish area. Paymaster Mine, Jessie Mine, Jubilee Mine, Dewey Mine Etc.

Mark
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• acidman1968
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jun 2010

I know this is a bit late, but for future reference, here's a website that has a listing of mines by state/county - and I've linked the Utah, Washington County mine listing for you:

444 Listings for Washington County

Good luck!

Oh, and of that 444 listings, a bunch are probably gravel pits or borrow pits that UDOT had to permit during road construction.
      I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Mark1955
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

Joanne,

Yes I did quite a bit of exploring over 4 different afternoons and shot some video as well. The Black Warrior mine is open as is the Jessie Mine. The Jessie Mine is being worked somewhat although there is no claim marker and no Do Not Trespass signs anywhere. The Jessie Mine has two different incline slopes and one shaft going straight down. The Paymaster Mine is gated but would be an easy hike up to. I will do that in the fall when it's cooler out. The black Warrior Mine is also gated but a road is worn in around the gate itself so no problem driving up. The road up to the Black Warrior is very narrow, just wide enough for the H-3 and about 5 to 8 degree slope! I had to back the hummer almost all the way down myself getting out to look several times to see how I was lined up on the two curves that are in the road . This mine is about half way up the side of a steep mountain face. About 2/3 up from the bottom there is a spot to do a 32 point turn around. The amazing thing about that area was that the Cactus were in full bloom as were the wild flowers. I'd say 6 to 8 types of wild flowers as well as at least 4 types of cactus. I was too late for the Joshua Tree bloom. The odor out there from the flowers was incredible! I also drove all the way up to the West Side Mine. This must have been a huge mine but I cold not find any trace of a shaft or an addit. I think it's been blasted shut. There are a bunch more miines out there and they are all on the You-Taw mine map overlay. Also just a mile or so off highway that runs north out of Littlefield to Santa Clara. I tried to upload several images but to no avail. So here is a link to a few of them on my flickr site...

Mark

Comment

• Mark1955
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Dec 2008

Actually a Mazda will be ok.... just go very slow. the back roads are generally good. There is some interesting stuff in that area. You can see all the mines around there from Google earth and there is a You-Taw mine overlay you can grab somewhere on this site that you will need if you don't already have it. I saw the cutoff for the Bloomington Cave but haven't checked it out yet. There is a (probably silly) rumor that it is infested with MANY spiders... black widows and other dangerous variety at certain times of the year... so check with some locos before you enter. Take at least 100 gallons of water with you this time of year and have fun but be safe!

Mark

Comment

• bcrizzane
            Mojave Baby
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by coltongar
            I'm not a fan of spiders. Maybe I'll look into that. Haha but thanks for the info! I do have the Utah map overlay, so I'll check it out and hopefully explore some mines! I'm thinking it won't work out this trip though.. But we'll see
            I know it's been quite a while since you wrote this, but if you made any discoveries I'd really like to know! I live pretty close to this area, and if there are any open shafts that the Bureau of Landmismanagement hasn't closed, I want to check them out.

Comment

Working...