X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeb49
    Mojave Baby
    • Jan 2009

Survey Term "breast" of mine??

I was reading through some old survey notes, from 1906, of one of my mining claims near Silverton Colorado.
    The survey states the following:
    A drift 5 x 7.5ft. in size, the entrance
    to which bears S. 66°10’ E 190 ft. from
    Cor. No. 1 and runs S 49° 10’ E 45 ft:
    thence S. 22° 37” E 60 ft to the breast.

Is any one familar with what this referes to?? I would assume the end of the drift?
    Just keep in mind that if you wake up and nothing hurts, you are probably dead.
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Dictionary.com to the rescue.

"Mining. the face or heading at which the work is going on. "
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• rhartill
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

Survey term "breast" of a mine

Breast also signifies that it is a horizontal as opposed to a downward inclining drift.

Breast stoping means moving a drift in a horizontal direction while underhand stoping refers to a downward dipping drift.

It (breast) almost always refers to the face of a mine (the place where the vein is being worked, usually the "end" of a drift or room)

Other terms which might be confusing include the BACK of a mine, which is the roof. "Scaling the Back" means to scrape loose roof pieces with a long piece of drill steel. Also, when you encounter a vein, the rock above it is called the HANGING wall, and the rock below it is called the FOOT wall.

BTW, Found this neat paper on interpreting mine maps here:

Comment

• jeb49
        Mojave Baby
        • Jan 2009

Thank you - just the info I needed. Very informative link.

My next task will be to determine the location of USMM Artois. I've determined it is about located at +/- 1/4 mile of N37.86330 W107.54686 WGS84.
        Just keep in mind that if you wake up and nothing hurts, you are probably dead.

Comment

Working...