• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KDT1970
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Sep 2009

Mine name help

I went to Moab over Easter and came across some mines, I didnt have a camera so no pics, but the location is 38.419204,-109.397328. can somebody tell me whats the name of the mines and whit thet were for.
    There were if i remember 5 enterances all of which went in on an extream angle and appered to be very deep. I ventured in only a little as I only hade one light with me. and noticed the one i went in, it had some cross tunnels with tracks that had appered to have collapsed the bridge across. my next trip to moab will deffinetly be one to visit these mines again and do some more exploreing, all af these mines do appear to be somewhat unstable with one opening inpiticullar with a door on it that has a really unstable upper.
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

I can't find any names for the exact coordinates you gave, but in the area are many unknown named mines, the Buster, Cedar Claims, and the Snowflake. Just a little further east of the coords (about a mile) are the Hidden Log, Balsley, Cedar, and Fault Mine. Could you verify the coords in Google Earth and visually assessing the area? Perhaps I could be more exact in the names that way.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• KDT1970
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Sep 2009

yes that is the area, you can see the main dirt road on top, then a small road that goes down on the left then a small water run off to the right, so it looks like a small upsidedown triangle. all of the mines a located right there about 20 or so feet south of the road, about 30 feet apart east to west.
      can u send me a pm of the locations of the other mines u listed.

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

No PM needed. Just open my western mines database, extract the contents, and open the Utah128.kmz file.
        -Fish
        Mojave Mine Team
        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Danb
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Sep 2009

I looked up these coordinates and found about 14 adits. Fairly close together. A few about 1/2 mile away.
          On my topo map they are referenced as the Yellow Circle Mines in Kane Springs Canyon. A little searching leads me to believe they are Uranium mines/prospects.
          You might want to go into the bathroom, turn of the light, look in the mirror and see if you are glowing..

Danb
          We do it underground and under water.
          Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• Mikezauner
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Danb
            A little searching leads me to believe they are Uranium mines/prospects.
            You might want to go into the bathroom, turn of the light, look in the mirror and see if you are glowing..
            I've heard that these uranium mines don't have enough radiation in them to cause any harm, and that you'd need to be in there for 8 or more hours to get the same radiation as a single dental xray. I of course, don't own a working geiger counter, and can't verify this. I need to get one from UnitedNuclear and poke my nose in one of these mines to see for myself.
            Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

Working...