How many jobs created by reclaiming abandoned mines?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

How many jobs created by reclaiming abandoned mines?

How many jobs are created in Utah by plugging and shuttering up noncoal mines?

This company typically wins most of the construction cobtracts. They employ 5 people....

This company typically does the survey work....

They employ 6 people...

State of Utah DOGM-Spectrum has been awarded 24 abandoned mine land contracts in Utah since 1989. These have included addressing 5,000 hardrock mine sites and 10 coal fires. Abandoned mine reclamation tasks have included data collection form development; literature review; preparation of health and safety plans; initial site investigations; landowner identification and deed searches, patented and unpatented claim ownership research, claim map preparation, and contacting landowners regarding consent; detailed field investigations including GPS
    surveying and mapping, quantity measurements, photo documentation; master database compilation; developing preliminary and final reclamation designs and engineer's cost estimates; and developing construction bid packages; final reporting and project close-out.

Now of course, the way government counts, 24 projects lasting at least one year times 6 people equals 144 jobs. Each of the 6 people eat while working in Utah, so by wolfing down a Big Mac everyday, more people are employed.

Let's see, it takes an average of 10 people to make/serve and clean up after that Big Mac, so 6 people x 10 = 60 more jobs saved/created. [Never mind all 6 of Spectrum's employees eat at the same McDonalds, they could all eat at a different McDonald's each day, so 60 jobs is conservative estimate...]

Add to this figure the hundreds of jobs created by supplying this MT company with gas to get back to MT after they have indexed all our mines...

Does anyone krafty type out there know how many jobs are created in order to purchase and install rebar? The number of jobs represented by a backhoe shoveling mine dump material back down a shaft?

Ken Salazar's http://www.doi.gov/news/09_News_Releases/122209a.html figures must be accurate, indeed in Utah alone, "thousands" of jobs are created thanks to the prudent spending of our white-hatted UAMRP-DOGM...
    A couple of shovel jockeys
    0%
    Dozens of State and Federal bureacrats
    0%
    Hundreds of Politicians
    0%
    1, 2, AND 3 above
    0%
    None. You shutter a WINDOW, not a mine...
    0%
  • ryan162
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

and Wyoming $117,352,070? wow is closing mines there number one cash crop?

Comment

• Mark1955
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Dec 2008

Russ,

Your first line made be LOL... that was funny. perhaps at best 100 preople is what pops into my mind... thankfully, they don't do a very good job either.

I seriously doubt that Wyomning spends that kind of dough just on closure. There is probably alot of cleanup going on, more so than closure. Most of the big time mining in Wyo is strip mining and much of that is still in operation. I would believe it's the responsibility of the mining company to level the stripped out area back. Many of the old mines in Wyo have been closed for a very long time however mine preservation in Wyoming is a big time thing and that may be where much of the money is earmarked for. You shuold see the restoration being undertaken at South Pass City for instance. They have spent a gob of cash bringing that place back to what it was it's glory days.

Mark

Comment

• RockRacer
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

At least 1.
        Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

Working...