• Show
Clear All
  • Dawn_CL
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Nov 2009

The mine in Rambo, First Blood

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know what that mine was that Sylvester Stallone was going through in the movie 'First Blood'?
    That looked to be an interesting mine and it didnt look to be stageset.

Dawn
    Dawn
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Trail guides in Canada for hiking and water and snow sports, with reviews, GPS downloads, video

Trailhead: UTM 10U WGS84 0615695 e 5470213 n, lat/long: N 49?22.416? W 121?24.376?

Located in the Coquihalla Canyon Provincial Park, this trail passes through a cool, quiet, wooded area leading to the Othello Quintette Tunnels. A popular Hope attraction, the tunnels were built between 1911 and 1916 as part of the Kettle Valley Railway. The tunnels provided the backdrop for the movie, Rambo: First Blood.

This trail is flat and wide, making it ideal for biking. There are few obstacles or challenges and lots of great views and mountain terrain on either side.

Directions:

Head east on Wallace St. Turn right on Sixth Ave. Cross the railway tracks and turn left on Kawkawa Lake Rd. Turn right before the cemetery onto Kettle Valley Rd. Park at the end of the dirt road.Directions:

Directions: Head east on Wallace St. Turn right on Sixth Ave. Cross the railway tracks and turn left on Kawkawa Lake Rd. Turn right before the cemetery onto Kettle Valley Rd. Park at the end of the dirt road.

Comment

• ryan162
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

The exterior mine with both Rambo and Clinton Morgan was not in Golden Ears but rather in the mountains to the west above Port Coquitlam, reached by logging roads (and with the noise of chainsaws driving to distraction the sound mixer and the PAs trying to locate and silence them). The interior mine with the rats was, as stated above, on a stage-set in Vancouver.
      found that on the internet so its somewhere in BC by the town they mention

opps beat me too it. im gonna go check that link! interesting!

Comment

• Mark1955
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

Having worked on many movies over the years I always assumed it was a set they built... for safety reasons. The exteriors certainly look genuine though. Some of the sets I've seen over the years have been unbelievable! From Battleship interiors to the "Home Alone" house attic and basement to Uncle Buck's Kitchen. You can't tell em from real when in person and for sure not when looking at them on film. This is typically done for safety reasons, especially when high dollar actors are involved. With the number of crew typically involved in shooting film back when this movie was made and the tight spaces shown in that mine the set would have had to have one side left out and or movable sections so they cold get all the desired filming angles.

Mark

Comment

• ExpUt
          True Mojave
          • Jul 2008

Speaking of mine sets. About 3-4 years ago I was driving up Big Cottonwood Canyon when we came upon a movie set in action. Trucks, coaches, etc, right by the old 'hump' in the road. They had built a fake mine entrance into the mountain, a portal coming out 10-15 feet. Never did hear what movie it was. Anyone know by chance?
          Kurt Williams
          CruiserOutfitters.com
          ExpeditionUtah.com
          MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mark1955
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

I'm not aware of any big pictures having been shot around here in quite a while... could have been a couple of scenes for a picture but it was more likely a TV show or commercial, still lots of them being done here. I quit the picture buisness just before I moved to Utah... After moving here I did a couple Touched By An Angel shows and one commercial at Osmond Studuios and then I quit the biz completely.

Mark

Comment

Working...