X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete
    Mojave Child
    • Nov 2009

Safety Equipment

What it the best safety equipment to get? Where do you get it?
  • Mike Schriber
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2008

Well, it really depends on what specific activities you'll be doing. General horizontal exploring requires a good helmet and light. Knee and elbow pads are nice too. Climbing helmets can be purchased from someplace like REI or Karst Sports. Vertical work is a lot more involved. You need good rope (like PMI 11mm pit rope), a harness (OnRope1 has excellent caving harnesses) and gear for descending (I like the Petzl Stop bobbin) and ascending (a frog system is probably best). You also need connectors (carabiners) and slings. Most of all, you need the proper training to use all this fun gear.

Mike
    Underground Explorers
    California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• bergdh
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Apr 2008

I recently got a helmet and good headlight from www.libertymountain.com for about 80 bones. You can pick it up from the slc location too. I recently found out that REI is a supporter of SUWA, so im not going to be purchasing from them.
      <big></big>R. Berg #02
      C. Berg
      A. Berg

Supporting Your Adventure

Comment

• Pete
        Mojave Child
        • Nov 2009

Thanks for the replies. I have no climbing training, so I'll stay away from that until I can get some. I like to support businesses that have the same general philosophies that I do. I'm hoping to get some ideas of what brands and models people prefer. What's the favorite flashlight, helmet, boots, knee pads, etc.

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Pete
          Thanks for the replies. I have no climbing training, so I'll stay away from that until I can get some. I like to support businesses that have the same general philosophies that I do. I'm hoping to get some ideas of what brands and models people prefer. What's the favorite flashlight, helmet, boots, knee pads, etc.
          Hi Pete,

I'm at the same point that you are. I'm currently using some "make do" equipment but want to step up the the appropriate gear. I wanted to do some research and get a bit of "in mine" experience before I purchased the new equipment. I did a bit of climbing when I was in college but sold most of that gear years ago. My make do equipment consists of a bicycle helmet with a Princeton Tec Fuel headlamp. The helmet works OK for preventing a head buster, but looks pretty dorky. The headlamp would be fine for using around the campsite, but barely adequate for mine exploring. (It's a good lamp, just the wrong lamp for this use.)

My philosophy on helmets is that pretty much any quality helmet that has a chin strap and is designed to protect the wearer from impact will work. Helmets for skiing, snow boarding, skate boarding, bicycle riding, caving or climbing would all provide adequate protection. The choice then becomes more focused on fit, comfort, price, features, and styling. For me, a helmet with a chin strap is mandatory. I don't want a to fall off just when I need it most. And since we are potentially dealing with vertical shafts, I don't want it falling and landing at the bottom of a shaft I can never reach. I also want a close fitting, low profile helmet. I'm reasonably tall and don't want to be any closer to the top of the tunnel than I have to be. Lastly, though less important, I've been looking for a helmet that is designed to be used with a headlamp. Some helmets are designed with built in clips that keep the headlamp strap in place. It's not a deal-breaker for me but it would act as a tie-breaker if I were choosing between two otherwise similar helmets. I've settled on a Black Diamond Half Dome helmet. I've tried it on and it's a comfortable fit for me. It has the features I want (including the clips for the headlamp) so that's my next purchase.

Headlamps (and flashlights) can be a whole hobby by themselves. Candle Power Forum is full of great information (although somewhat overwhelming at first). There are so many choices available that it can become very difficult to sort out what will work and what isn't up to the task. Just like the audiophiles of the early '70s who would argue endlessly over obscure audio characteristics that even a dog couldn't hear, the same applies to the flashlight/headlamp fans. Price varies from quite reasonable to absolutely insane. My selection criteria came down to "bulb type", beam type (wide angle or spot), run
          time, light output, and cost. I want an LED light source, with wide angle and spot beams, variable light output and less than $100. Some folks put a lot of emphasis on the type of battery, but for me that wasn't a significant evaluation factor) I've settled on the Princeton Tec Apex. It has the features I want and won't cost a fortune. There are three models of that particular lamp and I'm still trying to decide which one I want to choose. LOL!!

I have only done preliminary research on a hand held light and have no recommendations on them so far. If you search this forum, there have been some discussions about lights. That might provide a good starting point for your research.

Joanne
          Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• offroadcmpr
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Feb 2009

There is a new headlamp that just came out called the fenix HP10. I am getting it for christmas. It is similar to the apex, but it is brighter and more waterproof. There are several good reviews on candlepower forums and also some caving forums.

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

I love my Camp Armour helmet. It has four mounts to securely hold a headlamp, and is holed for easy mounting of up to 4 additional lights. Price is very decent, wear is very comfortable, and the helmet is very lightweight. My main headlamp is a Petzl Myo XP. They don't produce my model anymore, but now sell the more powerful and longer lasting Petzl Myo RXP. I have two spotters on my helmet; Ultrafire WF606A 230-Lumen AA Lights. They'll penetrate any darkness no matter how far, and have a run time of about 2 constant hours. Waterproof, lightweight, and cheaper than dirt for what your getting. For batteries, I like the Titanium 2700mAh AA Rechargeable batteries. They are a bit pricey, but do a great job. A bit cheaper and slightly less powerful and the Tenergy 2600mAh rechargeable. I like to wear a good pair of coveralls from C-A-L Ranch to keep clean even in the dirtiest mines. Footwear depends on your exploration style. If you are more into the climbing around and moving quickly, a light pair of shoes such as the Keen Targhee II hiking boot should to the trick for most people. I myself tend to enjoy the work that can be done in abandoned mines and enjoy my Rocky Ranger Steel Toe boots. They are a bit heavy, but provide superior protection against falling rocks and whatever might be trying to smash your feet.

All in all, the most important items you need is a helmet and good flashlights with spare batteries. All the other gear just makes the experience better.
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Dec 2008

I'll second the Black Diamond Half Dome helmet. It's inexpensive, light, easily adjustable and holds a headlamp well. I wear military desert boots in the mines (and everywhere else too) when it's not too cold. They're light and comfortable but don't offer toe protection. The headlamps we're currently using are from Essential Gear. They have a K2 LED and are quite bright. The price was right as well. My main handheld flashlight us the TrustFire 900 lumen monster than Stuart turned me on to. It's beyond belief. As for kneepads and elbow pads, just about anything that's comfortable will do. I'd look more at paintball or skateboard types versus home improvement styles which tend to slide down easier (and are heavier).

Mike
                Underground Explorers

Comment

• Pete
                  Mojave Child
                  • Nov 2009

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice. Now for some more research and some shopping.

Comment

• Stuart
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

My main handheld flashlight us the TrustFire 900 lumen monster than Stuart turned me on to. It's beyond belief.
                    Haha, yeah there is really no comparison to that light in terms of price and performance! Its just unbelievably bright compared to all the standard lights people use underground. Maybe for Christmas I will buy myself a few more.
                    -Stuart Burgess
                    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                    Burgess Exploration LLC
                    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• ryan162
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Feb 2009

anyone try the womens camp armor helmet? my heads only 22.5 inches around....so the ladies one id think would fit better the mens

Comment

• Joanne
                        Mojave Outlaw
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Stuart
                        My main handheld flashlight us the TrustFire 900 lumen monster than Stuart turned me on to. It's beyond belief.
                        Haha, yeah there is really no comparison to that light in terms of price and performance! Its just unbelievably bright compared to all the standard lights people use underground. Maybe for Christmas I will buy myself a few more.
                        Hey Stuart, which model TrustFire is it? I may try to track one of those babies down.

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Cowboy
                          • Dec 2008

Ask and you shall receive!

DealExtreme TrustFire SSC P7-C 900 lumen LED flashlight

DealExtreme UltraFire battery charger

DealExtreme Ultrafire 3.7V 18650 2400Mah Battery

Mike
                          Underground Explorers

Comment

• Joanne
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Jul 2009

Thanks Mike!!

Joanne

Comment

• Joanne
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ryan162
                              anyone try the womens camp armor helmet? my heads only 22.5 inches around....so the ladies one id think would fit better the mens
                              I think your idea makes a lot of sense. Looks like a nice helmet and has headlamp clips too. I did a quick search and it appears that they make them for men, women, and juniors. Since helmet fit is such a personal thing, I'd suggest that you see if you can find anyone locally that carries them. That way you can go over and try one on to see how it fits. If their price isn't good, then order online.

Joanne

Comment

Working...