• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikezauner
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Jun 2008

Mine by Alpine

Ranae and I were exploring Sunday when we came across a few tailings piles on the side of the mountain just east of Alpine. We didn't have gear, so we came back today before I had to go in to work. The first entrance was almost totally buried, and inside the tunnel appears to have been backfilled or otherwise caved in as well. The second entrance seemed to be covered by a rock slide, although it's entirely likely it was backfilled as well. We didn't have time to hike up to the top entrance, unfortunately, but I do have a few photos, which I will post when not subject to the work firewall. I did grab the coordinates for the first entrance before we left, however:

40°28.340'N
    111°44.905W
    Elevation: 4517Ft

Does anyone have any information on what this was? The first entrance has a rather large tailings pile, and inside the entrance, there's several pieces of 2X6s that could have dated back to the 50s or so, looked fairly modern, and there was a small piece of cable on the tailings pile as well, but again, didn't really have time to get a really good shot.
    Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Looks like you've found the Alpine Galena Mine. It sits on NFS land. Lead was the primary mineral mined from it. Great find! Can't wait to see your photos.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mikezauner
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Jun 2008

Awesome. Where do you find this information? I'd love to be able to research this stuff myself. Still at work, but here's a few photos I snapped with the cell phone cam. I'll need to go back with a proper camera rig for better shots, as that's all I had with me at the time.

On the first entrance, there's a bit of a cable, unfortunately my cell especially sucks at photos, but you can kind of see the cable. :-/

This is the first entrance, which goes back about 20 feet before ending in a cave in or backfill. Hard to tell which.

The second entrance is totally sealed off, save for a baseball sized hole between rocks, as far as I can tell. I need to go back soon to explore the top entrance I saw from the ground.

--Beard

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Those are right by Wadsworth Canyon correct?

Wadsworth Hill/Canyon: You can see these mines on the face of the mountain if your driving up to AF Canyon or near Alpine. The road switchbacks up the face of the mountain to several apparent adits or ore chases. All that we were able to hike to were what looked like naturally caved. Judging by the small amount of overburden, lack of timbering and map data, I can only guess these were minor prospects.

Mine/claim names:
        Queen of Sheba (1891)
        Fools Claim (Wadsworth Hill Mining Company)
        Midnight Bell
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mikezauner
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Jun 2008

yes, that would be the ones. So the top entrance is caved too? Thanks for telling me before I schlepped all my gear all the way up there.

--Beard

Comment

• ExpUt
            True Mojave
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mikezauner
            yes, that would be the ones. So the top entrance is caved too? Thanks for telling me before I schlepped all my gear all the way up there.
            I last visited there a couple of years ago, we hiked to all the adits we could see and all were caved or very shallow. There was some evidence of recent digging so if one is open I wouldn't be too entirely surprised.

Here are some other mines in the Alipine Area:

Fort Canyon: Fort Canyon is a small canyon due north of Alpine. I can't find any reference to a mine on any map in my collection, though it is referenced in some mine heritage resource information? At this point I'm inclined to beleive they are actually referring to the mining in Dry Creek Canyon, a couple miles away?

Mine/claim names:
            Baby Mine (1891)

Dry Creek Canyon:

Mine/claim names:
            Alpine Lode (head of Dry Creek)
            Alpine Tunnel (head of Dry Creek)

Box Elder Canyon

Mine/claim names:
            Galena Claim (1903)

Wadsworth Hill/Canyon: You can see these mines on the face of the mountain if your driving up to AF Canyon or near Alpine. The road switchbacks up the face of the mountain to several apparent adits or ore chases. All that we were able to hike to were what looked like naturally caved. Judging by the small amount of overburden, lack of timbering and map data, I can only guess these were minor prospects.

Mine/claim names:
            Queen of Sheba (1891)
            Fools Claim (Wadsworth Hill Mining Company)
            Midnight Bell

Preston Canyon:

Mine/claim names:
            Queen Natalie Mine (1891)
            Marion Mine (1891)

Unknown Location Mines in the Alpine Area:
            Banner Mine (1891)
            Queen Mine
            Hurricane Lode
            Rose Bud (1892)
            Utah Marble Claim (1892)
            Early Dawn Placer (1892)

Unknown Size, Condition, etc in the Alpine Area:
            Lucky Chance
            Keystone
            Horseshoe
            Big Ledge
            Copper King
            Copper Queen
            Maid of the Mist
            Gold Dust
            Snowflake
            Blue Bell
            Sego Lily
            Hardscrabble
            Bald Eagle
            Sunnyside
            Lucky Find
            Midday Bell
            Fools Claim
            Tip Top
            Releif
            Silver Bell
            Sunday
            Paza
            Red Jacket
            Gold Bug
            Leopard
            Sultana
            Dull Pick
            May Queen
            Mary Jane
            Black Jack
            Cinnabar
            Rattlers
            Cyclone
            Devils Cave
            Moonshine
            Black Diamond
            Gray Eagle
            Spy
            Deer Trail
            (many/most of these could be claims only with zero workings)
            Kurt Williams
            CruiserOutfitters.com
            ExpeditionUtah.com
            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...