Question about big and little cottonwood canyon mines?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danb
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Sep 2009

On the Steam Boat Tunnel, I think the adit in the Pic is the lower one by the buildings? You have to go up stream a few hundred yards, to get to the drain adit of the tunnel. They are connected. I think the one bricked off was the haul adit. I don’t think they would have destroyed the cemented adit with the drain pipe. If I remember right, we were surprised to find it and be able to get in. A few years later we went back and the grate was secured in place and would take a lot of work to get around. I think I have photos of it and will post them.

Danb
    We do it underground and under water.
    Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• motherlode68
      Mojave Baby
      • Jul 2009

@ Kurt, I flew through the book in just a couple of days! The research Mr. Keller did is truly amazing! Having read the book...hiking in B/C is going to have a whole new meaning. Bring on the summer season!

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Mar 2013

I know this is a very old thread - I have been hiking up big and little cottonwood canyons for years. I have found numerous mines that have been blocked off and or filled it. does anybody know of any ones that have access? Or are they all blocked off? There seems to be so many on the topo maps, isn't it possible that they missed some and some are open? I don't care to go down shafts, I prefer tunnels/adits.
        Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace

Comment

I am very frequent with going to little cottonwood but I've only been in one tunnel. This tunnel is located off of the Cecret Lake trail. When you're going up the zig-zag towards the lake, you should see a small opening near the trail - inside you will find that it is filled with water (at least a 1/2 foot, didn't go that far in) and I'm not sure if it turns or is collapsed afterwards. I'm going to go check it out after this winter and see whats inside. But being right off a trail makes it very frequent to travelers, I haven't seen many people go in, but you can tell there have been people inside.

I've also found several locked doors to mines around Alta. Go on a day hike from Snowbird to Alta and you'll see many capped off and locked mines. The one in Cecret Lake is the only one I've actually been in up there, so I'm wondering if I can get some locations to others.

Comment

• ExpUt
            True Mojave
            • Jul 2008

Is the Cecret Lake mine you are referring to on the left hand side of the trail (when hiking to the lake) and up a slight berm/dugway? If it is the same one I'm thinking I went in and down several stopes 5-6 years ago.
            Kurt Williams
            CruiserOutfitters.com
            ExpeditionUtah.com
            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

It is up a slight berm/dugway but it's actually on the right when hiking to the lake. I didn't go too far in so I couldn't tell if it was collapsed or not.

Comment

• ExpUt
                True Mojave
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Supermedinita
                It is up a slight berm/dugway but it's actually on the right when hiking to the lake. I didn't go too far in so I couldn't tell if it was collapsed or not.
                Hmmm, interesting. I need to get back up there and explore... when the snow melts.
                Kurt Williams
                CruiserOutfitters.com
                ExpeditionUtah.com
                MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Maxamillion2799
                  Mojave Baby
                  • Jan 2018

I was wondering if you still had all the mining maps and such from this post years ago? I was hoping you would allow me to look at them. I've been into a handful of mines but recently been into the snake creek drain tunnel accessed from midway up snake creek canyon and only got in 1/4-1/2mile in before it ended at a concrete wall with a door way in it and a tube gushing with water it was obvious it wasn't a collapse, the tunnel was originally 3 miles long before it was abandoned, it's purpose was to drain the Ontario mine located in at the 1400 level located in Park City, the Daly Judge, and the Daly west were also connected to the Ontario. I was puzzled when the tunnel ended so shortly and when I studied the direction of the tunnel I noticed it was aiming far away from any park city mines where it was intended, but headed for Brighton resort. I would hope you had a fantastic holiday break, hope to hear from you soon!

Comment

• Maxamillion2799
                    Mojave Baby
                    • Jan 2018

Sorry I'm new to the forums I meant to post that as a reply with a quote my bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ExpUt
                    What would you like to know? I have the geo surveys of both canyons, along with dozens and dozens of internal mine working maps from both the Big Cottonwood Mining District and the Little Cottonwood Mining district. I've been inside a handful of the more notable mines, the Woodlawn, the Cardiff, the Emma, the Bay City and the Wasatch Drain among others. As Brent pointed out many of the bigger mines in the Cottonwoods are protected access as they are used for water by both private and public entities, access to these mines is often impossible, in some cases they are plugged and flooded hundreds of feet deep for use as a water reservoir. The history of the Cottonwoods is often more of interest then the actual mine exploration proper.

I would be interested to know which mines your friend has in BC, my guess if you know the canyon or mine name I likely have maps and history on the operations there. PM me if don't want to post it publicly. Your welcome to stop by and take a peak at some of the information I have, I'm often not too keen on sending it home as many of these are unique and rare maps/books but if you want to stop by and check them out, lmk.

I was wondering if you still had all the mining maps and such from this post years ago? I was hoping you would allow me to look at them. I've been into a handful of mines but recently been into the snake creek drain tunnel accessed from midway up snake creek canyon and only got in 1/4-1/2mile in before it ended at a concrete wall with a door way in it and a tube gushing with water it was obvious it wasn't a collapse, the tunnel was originally 3 miles long before it was abandoned, it's purpose was to drain the Ontario mine located in at the 1400 level located in Park City, the Daly Judge, and the Daly west were also connected to the Ontario. I was puzzled when the tunnel ended so shortly and when I studied the direction of the tunnel I noticed it was aiming far away from any park city mines where it was intended, but headed for Brighton resort. I would hope you had a fantastic holiday break, hope to hear from you soon!

Comment

• Joanne
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Jul 2009

Maxamillion,

The forum has been stagnant for a number of years. It appears that many of the members have moved on, so you may not get a response. I'm hoping that the forum gets going again, so thank you for posting. Any stories about your explorations would be quite welcome.

Joanne
                      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

Working...