• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • larryslost
    Mojave Child
    • Aug 2009

Recent trip to mtns

Hello All,

I just got back from Pilot Mountains in Nevada and boy was it a trip. One day was not enough for all the mines picked out on the map. A lot of drive time to the mines in the quad, Most of the mines were in the 7000 foot range or higher. We did the Dunlap Canyon and the Cinnabar Canyon. Did mostly the Dunlap. The mines were mostly Mercury and saw about 10 retorts spread about the hills visited six mines and there were stuctures and ore bins left. Got some good photos of some locations and then the camera got dirt and dust in it and quit working correctly (no focus). Enjoy your outings all for now Larry
    Looking for people to travel the hills and look for mines and caves
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Great info! Here is some more info online regarding these mines:

Comment

• larryslost
      Mojave Child
      • Aug 2009

Thanks for the info! I have been using the NV dept of mines data base for some time. Really need to search the files for info. I posted pictures to my facebook account (Laurence S Gray) if any one wants to see highlights of the trip. I tried to post pictures to MU and keep getting error messages. Will post again on next trip planned off to Vegas this weekend for a Gun Show (I sell) hope to make enough to go out again next week of exploring!

Comment

• Mark1955
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

Deleted post... I got the Pilot Mtns mixed up with Pilot Peak

Comment

• larryslost
          Mojave Child
          • Aug 2009

Since I can not seem to post pictures to MU I will give an address if any one would like to see pictures from the trip. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=f0303add23. Thanks Larry

Comment

• Mark1955
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

Hi Larry,
            The link is bad. I know your Facebook page is public so could you post that link again?

Comment

• larryslost
              Mojave Child
              • Aug 2009

I will try again: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=f0303add23 I hope this works if not just go to Laurence S Gray in face book nothing is set a private you should see all the photos. Thanks Larry

Comment

• Mark1955
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

Yea, that link is good Larry... Thanks! Will look them over tonight.

Comment

• Mark1955
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Dec 2008

Wow! There appears to be a nice vein of Cinnabar in those photos.. I'd like some of that... Its also interesting to finally see a furnace used for extracting mercury.... I wonder how much brain damage the person(s) running the furnace sustained....

Mark

Comment

• larryslost
                    Mojave Child
                    • Aug 2009

I am planning another trip to the Pilot Mountains again. Is there any one who would like to go? I busted up my trailer last time and this time I will try to miss that rock, I swear it wasn't there. Will look at the next canyon over, the Dunlap Canyon. Last time found alot of Merury mines and Retorts and one real nice copper mine with malachite ore. Well let me know I am looking some time in Oct for this trip and by the way if anyone wants to come to Beatty glad to show you around. Larry

Comment

Working...