• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark1955
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

Abandoned mines to get renewed attention

In todays trip but since it was short I thought I'd post it here. I don't know if this means a hurry up on closing mines or not...

Mark
    URS Corp., a San Francisco-based company with an office in Salt Lake City, has received a three-year contract to provide reclamation engineering services on an on-call basis to the state Division of Oil, Gas and Mining's abandoned-mine reclamation program. Terms were not disclosed.

On division projects, URS will do mine inventories, cultural, historic and biological studies and title checks, and prepare National Environmental Policy Act paperwork. The company also will evaluate public-safety and environmental hazards at abandoned mines, provide reclamation engineering designs and oversee construction.

Traded on the New York Stock Exchange ration, URS Corp. provides engineering, construction and technical services for public agencies and private sector companies around the world. Much of its focus is on power, infrastructure and industrial, commercial and federal projects.

| Mike Gorrell
    • Jul 2008

Hmmm....well at least they say they will do public safety evals which is more than what the state is doing now.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

Closing mines in the name of 'safety' has always been a profitable business, often placing profit ahead of actual needs. Interesting to see where this goes.

Their website:
      Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Jeff
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Nov 2008

This may be a good case for the people of MU and GRE and the like to step in with proposals for an education and and preservation program kind of like dedicated hunter or say something like a NPLD but several times a year somewhere along those lines but completely voluntary but structured and organized.
        Jeff
        Mojave Mine Team
        Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Good idea, that type of proposal could also be worded to let them know that we will be monitoring and reporting their actions, bad press for them = less profits, which is a concern for them, unlike the federal side

Comment

• ghosttrain2
            Mojave Baby
            • Jan 2010

Thought I would add the the BLM and Humboldt county are closing up old mines here too,without regards to any historic structures or remaining headframes.All in the name of "safety"

Comment

Working...