• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaverStretch
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

Historic Underground Mine and Preservation Regional

I would like to introduce an idea. The 1st Annual Historic Underground Mine and Preservation Regional (AKA The HUMPR pronounced Humper) Name is subject to change.

This is a Regional that willl be hosted by different mining preservation groups through-out the usa. Actitivites can include educational classes from mine geology, history, preservation, service projects, surveying and mapping, current political projects, future of mines and mine exploring, photography, and any other interested or pertenant topics related to mines and mining history.

To start the ball rolling the Mojave Underground could host the first regional. We could invite any and everyone that is interested in preserving our history in the mining area to this event. Activites could range from any of the above listed items, and also include activities that Mike Capps has introducedd such as mine compitions. Pleaser refer to his post. Some of these events include rope climbing contests, inclince and ore care moving contests, etc. Just fun activities that welcome anyone any everyone to join in.

I have been to many many many caving regionals is my years. There are many benefeits to these activites. One of the best is just getting eveyone together that enjoys the same passion we all have for mines, caves, history, preservation. I think this would be the best way to get everyone on the same page and on the same track. And I think we should make it happen.

I want to propose that the Mojave Underground be the ground breakers in this event. We should be the first to host an activity like this. We could host the regional in the Ophir area and really set a precident with what we want and what we exopect from these events.

What do you think? I want some inpust so we can start the ball rolling.

Thanks Everyone one

Robert
    Mojave Mine Team
    Robert Cranney
    Mojave Mine Team
    The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

I like it. Good thinking Robert. What better place to hold the competitions than the HUMPR (Name subject to stay the same ). A two day activity that covers a wide range of subjects (the majority of the regional being on a Saturday). What would be a good month to do this?
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
      True Mojave
      • Jul 2008

I think Mojave has the manpower, knowledge and resources to really make the inaugural event a home run. You've got fingertip access to one of the most stellar sites in the state of Utah (speaking of Ophir), and the town of Ophir and the nearby sites make it a pretty logistical hot spot. If attendees are coming from out of town, a rental car can easily make it to Ophir. The town has a nice park that could host a lunch, etc.

Keep us posted!
      Kurt Williams
      CruiserOutfitters.com
      ExpeditionUtah.com
      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Crystal

I like this idea, thanks Robert.
        I think we should plan for this to take place around summer of next year, maybe September, that way we have a full year of planning and coordinating.

Comment

• Mark1955
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Dec 2008

Excellent idea... This would have my support 100%!!

Comment

• rhartill
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jun 2008

Excellent idea Robert. I have a smattering of experience as a contestant in a Southern California gold panning competition, we could offer claim staking contests? and chip sampling contests too. Sounds like it will be a wonderful tradition the MU can jumpstart.

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Gold panning would be a great idea to throw in there! I've had my fair share of panning days myself. We are planning on having a public meeting likely in the first week September to discuss the HUMPR and what it will include. Waiting for word back from Crystal on dates.
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Joanne
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2009

It would be great if there were a place where those of us who want to could camp together for the weekend. I'm thinking that a potluck Dutch Oven dinner one evening would be a fun way for everyone to get together, eat, and tell stories around a camp fire. Just my 2 centavos worth...

Joanne
                Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

There is actually a great little public campsite up the canyon from Ophir that we would use to host the event. I am thinking we would DEFINITELY do some dutch oven cooking and campfire stories.

I am really excited to have this event, its time to start planning! Any ideas on a date for the planning meeting Crystal?
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Crystal

We will be having a meeting discussing the possibilities of the conference on October 3rd at 6pm. The location is at the Sandy Main Street park. For more details and to RSVP please go to our Meetup page. It's a BBQ so bring something to share!!

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

I'll be there, likely with the misses. Excited to see what ideas everyone has.
                      Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Joanne
                        Mojave Outlaw
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Crystal
                        We will be having a meeting discussing the possibilities of the conference on October 3rd at 6pm. The location is at the Sandy Main Street park. For more details and to RSVP please go to our Meetup page. It's a BBQ so bring something to share!!
                        It would be great if someone would publish the major recommendations and decisions that come out of this meeting. As MU gains wider membership, it's difficult for some of us to attend these organizing gatherings even when we intend to attend the actual event. For me, the most important bit of information would be the date of the event so I can schedule around it. I attend a lot of events throughout the year so my calendar fills up pretty quickly (and my bank account drains down in direct proportion).

We have a number of suggestions for competitive and fun events, but I also think there is a place for some educational events as well. (You can tell I'm more of a nerd than an athlete LOL!)

Some sessions could be:

Introduction to Mine Exploration
                        - Overview of mine topology
                        - Common mining terms
                        - Using online resources to locate mines
                        - Mine exploration safety
                        - Basic exploring and safety equipment

Single Rope Technique
                        - Climbing harness
                        - Carabiners
                        - Descenders
                        - Ascenders
                        - Rope
                        - Knots
                        - Overview of ascending setups
                        - Hands on practice

I realize that these are pretty ambitious undertakings, but I figure I'd throw them out for discussion.

Also, I realize that it's a bit off topic for the event, but I'll offer anyway. A friend and I teach Dutch Oven cooking. The class runs about 60 minutes long where we demonstrate the equipment and techniques for those who are just getting started. We actually cook a dish during the class so there is food to eat at the end of the class. If there is time available that needs to be filled, and if there is interest, I'll be more than happy to teach the class. My feelings will not be hurt if a DO class doesn't fit into the schedule. I'm just putting out the offer.

Joanne
                        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Crystal

Don't worry about attending the meeting Joanne, we will still be discussing what we plan to do for the conference on the forum as well and I'll be sure to make a report of what was discussed there. It's just a lot easier to gather ideas face to face.
                          For everyone who will not be able to attend the meeting but has ideas for it please PM me and I will share your ideas for everyone who is there. This way your ideas will still be heard.

Comment

Working...