X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Root Mine, Southern Nevada

[update =>]This mine has been identified as the Root Mine. (Thanks guys)

Hi all,

Here are some photos of the very first mine I ventured into. It's a great "beginner" mine since it has a single adit that goes back a couple of hundred feet. Midway back are a couple of ore chutes, then all the way to the end is another ore chute with a ladder up into the stope.

Note: These coordinates have been corrected from the original posting. My apologies! Joanne

The mine site is at:
    35°46'53.58" N
    115°32'26.40" W

This is the mine I returned to when I wanted to take a stab at underground photography. It's simple layout, with a few interesting features, made it a good choice. These are the first photos I've tried underground. I would like to spend some more time learning the basics so I can record what I see in these challenging environments.

The area leading up to the mine is pretty standard desert landscape with remnants that show that this mine and the one above it were worked to some extent.

What mine would be complete without a rusted, shot up, and stripped out old car?

This Jeep trail leads to a mine further up the hill. I don't have a Jeep and it was WAY too hot to hike. That mine will have to wait till things cool off a bit.

The lure of the mine proves irresistible!

All in all I learned quite a bit about long exposures and "light painting". I also learned that my friend made a good investment when he bought an external flash for his camera. I've been thinking about one for a couple of years but could never really justify the expense for the limited nighttime photography that I do. These mines have me rethinking my position....

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Great post Joanne. An external flash does wonders for underground photography.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Another great trip!

Researching your photos, the coordinates, and your text, I'm not sure my coordinates match to yours. Which Datum are you using?

I do have several mines listed just 5 miles west of the coordinates posted. The Grand Junction Mine is the closest I can establish. Coordinates from Google Earth are 36°48'33.98"N 116°39'16.99"W. Could these be them? I"m seeing the same landscape, rock, trails, etc as your photos in this location.

Again, I'm very proud that you are venturing underground! Not sure if you have a hard hat yet, but they are quite handy, especially for mounting lights to
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ryan162
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Feb 2009

nice! your pictures came out good! now you gotta go up that ladder :P

Comment

• Stuart
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Haha, I'd climb that ladder. Looks good to me!

Great pictures Joanne, keep up the good work! Looks like a nice dry mine.
          -Stuart Burgess
          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
          Burgess Exploration LLC
          http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
          Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mark1955
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

Your pictures are great! I have yet to try "light painting" myself. Mojave Underground is having a Photography Workshop this comming Saturday. You should sign up at the Meetup Site and come join us!!! You're not that far away..

As for the ladder, looks good to me! Very similar to this one inside Gold Hill that all 200 lbs of myself has climbed up. These wrungs have alot more wear then your ladder. The top of this ladder goes to a stope that you have to see to believe... you cold fit a three story house inside it and then some!

Mark

Comment

• Mike Schriber
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Dec 2008

I think the coordinates must be off. There is nothing there on the USGS topo quads either. It's a very interesting looking mine!
              Underground Explorers
              California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Mark1955
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

I think so too... was wondering about that... I'd be up to going to check this out next time I'm in Vegas...

Comment

• Joanne
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2009

MEA CULPA!!

I botched the coordinates on this one. I got them both off by a full degree putting you nowhere near the actual mine! Arrrrggghhh Thanks guys for catching my error.

I will go back and correct my original post to have the correct coordinates. I apologize to all of those who spent time looking for this mine using the original coordinates.

Now, onto the subject of ladders.....

If you look behind the chute at the two vertical boards with the notches cut out of them, that is what is left of the ladder that leads up to the one in the photo that everyone is talking about. Evidently someone thought that removing the ladder steps would keep most folks out of the stope.

The base of the remaining ladder is about 6 or 7 feet above the floor so it would be easy enough to climb up using the notches in the original ladder. In my last trip there I was more interested in practicing underground photography. I'll get up there before too long.

And yes, a helmet is at the top of my shopping list. My old climbing helmet is long gone so I need to purchase a new one. I'll have on in the next few weeks.

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Joanne
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Mark1955
                    Your pictures are great! I have yet to try "light painting" myself. Mojave Underground is having a Photography Workshop this comming Saturday. You should sign up at the Meetup Site and come join us!!! You're not that far away..

As for the ladder, looks good to me! Very similar to this one inside Gold Hill that all 200 lbs of myself has climbed up. These wrungs have alot more wear then your ladder. The top of this ladder goes to a stope that you have to see to believe... you cold fit a three story house inside it and then some!

Mark
                    I sure wish I could make it up for the photography workshop! Unfortunately the timing isn't good for me right now. I have a couple of other events that I have committed to that are going to suck down my travel budget for this year. I'd like to get up there in the not too distant future though!

Joanne

Comment

• Mark1955
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Dec 2008

Joanne,

Nothing like a little mine maintainance! I'd just measure those notches and the outside width of the ladder at the bottom and at the top... figure what the average width of each one should be and go to Home Depot and get new wrungs cut. It would be easier to re-install back in place than trying to climbing up those notches... If I were comming down any time soon I'd be more than happy to do it for the safety of others who will no doubt go there.
                      Hope you can make it up here at some point...

Here it is... There's a whole lotta diggins to explore around there! They did too much diggin not to have found something... I'll be down there this fall to check it out.! Nothing better then a cool place to explore in the middle of no where...

Unknown Mines

Mark

Comment

• John
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Joanne
                        MEA CULPA!!

Joanne

Ok, a bit off topic but don't tell me I'm the only one that sees the image of a sitting cat on the boards above that paper on the right side of the ore chute.

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Cowboy
                          • Dec 2008

Ah ha! That made a difference!

That looks like the Root Mine (also known as the Bonanza Mine). There is also the McVicar mine shown nearby. It seems like it was primarily a lead mine. There are a number of other mines in the area as well.

It looks like a good place to explore.

Oh... and I see the cat too!

Mike
                          Underground Explorers
                          California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Stuart
                            Administrator
                            True Mojave
                            • Sep 2007

Joanne, is that your pet cat?
                            -Stuart Burgess
                            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                            Burgess Exploration LLC
                            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Joanne
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Stuart
                              Joanne, is that your pet cat?
                              I taught I taw a puddy-tat!!

Someone had a sense of humor when they drew that. I guess it's like a mine dog, only for those who are a bit more "sensitive". LOL!

Joanne

Comment

Working...