X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XXX Snow
    Mojave Teen
    • Sep 2008

New use for old mines

News, release, News Center, energy, hot air, compressed air energy storage power plant, mine, electrical power, electricity

I heard this from a "friend of friend" but a professor from the U is looking into this process for use in the mines of LCC. I not sure how this would work because of the permeability of a mine. I think it is a far fetch idea but you never know.
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Any idea who the professor is? If its in the Mechanical Engineering sector or some of the other engineering sectors I might be able to get us some sit down time with him?? Might have even been one of my professors? Some worked on energy storage??
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Some years ago I read about the concept of storing energy through the use of two large water resevoirs. During the daylight hours, solar powered pumps would move water from a lower resevoir to the upper one. During nighttime hours the water would be released from the upper resevoir through hydroelectric generators.

Using the underground mine sounds like a similar concept. Solar and wind-powered power production needs a cost-effective way to store energy for night time and times of little wind. I would imagine that they could get around the permeability issue with the use of rubber membranes and shot-crete. I think it's a pretty innovative idea if the technical challenges can be worked out.

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

Working...