• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan162
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

mine pictures

well ive been thinking about sharing more pictures on here and im going to take a page from the socal-funplaces book and use criptic names for the mines. if anyone wants to know where these mines are just let me know.

The Hole
    fist one up is the one we call "the hole". its sunk at a 45 degree angle and has 4 or 5 level, i cant remeber. it was kinda tricky to do this one and we learned that only one person should be climbing at a time in case rocks cut loose. it took about an hour to see this mine. my legs were sore from the climbing lol

this picture shows the sky after desending to the first small level

this picture shows the angle of the shaft

Darth Maul was there to greet us at the bottom

ahh the days of maglights....

looking down a ore shoot

bottom of the above oreshoot

Tuba mine

this is a huge one. we spent 3 hours with a map to see this place in its entirety. its quite damp and the wood probably wont last much longer without upkeep

the bridge room

some interesting reinfocments

its a fair hike out there and we hit it as some wildflowers were doing there thing

Royal Navy

this one of my favorite areas since its got alot of history and everywhere you look shows signs of workings. its pretty hard to find the actual main tunnels here but theres plenty of huge glory hole type excavations to poke around in. you can explore this area for a few hours but the main tunnels will only take you 30 minutes or so

card room

mojave underground card from Mike!

Blue Rain

this is one of my favorites. we explored this one for around 2 hours and didnt finish it. it has alot of safe ladders to climb and interesting support work inside.

80ish foot ladder we went up

if she smiles after climbing 100 year old ladders, shes a keeper

Washington

this is also a favorite. it has a neat canyon hugging path that is fun to take to get to it, or you can go the long way around and drive above it. it really only takes an hour to see this place but it contains ore chutes, huge rooms and cool views.

geocache in this one. please leave the tin in a easy location. some have put it to were you must scamper around the edge of a 20 foot drop to get at it....pretty stupid

Pain Town

just your basic straight tunnel but its a long one and the light of the entrance is always in sight. the interesting part about this one is the amount of water in the area for the desert and the large green tailing pile

mule trail

Jamie's mine
    a friend of mine always talked about this one so we went out and found it one day. its not a large mine but its only recently abandoned so its quite complete. this was my fist ladder mine. it might take 30 minutes to explore

view from the top of the ladder

looking down the ladder

Sky Light

small little mine that ran just under the surface to a hill. the top of the tunnels has collapsed in a few areas providing daylight in most all of it.

my friends down at the bottom. makes for a neat picture but they are just 70ish feet from the entrance and no repealing is needed

dynamite room?

one of the "sky lights"

heading out the entrance

Kate's mine
    nothing really to this one but we saw it off in the distance and Kate thought it should be investigated more. we learned that if a mine only has a single mule trail to it then its probably not very big. the walls seemed different in this one though. possibly older? less use of dynamite?

trip to Dirt Pen mine
    this was early in our adventures. i bought new tires to go out here that day and i feel in love with my 4runner.

random mine...first step is a doozey. this one actualy had a dying rabbit in it the first time i visited.

small random mine

theres a spring at the base of that cottonwood tree

dirt pen mine. its not a big one and takes maybe 20 minutes to see but the ride to it is interesting

dirty pen

the mines width and height are not very consistent. there are some medium sized rooms along its tunnels

tally marks inside dirty pen

top of the mountain above dirty pen. pain town can be seen from this vantage point

Bare Foot
    my friend showed me this one while we were trying to get into a large mine that tuned out to be gated off

good solid advise right there as we are traveling over top a very large, dozed over, mine

a small childs foot print? who lets there kids run around in here like that? lol

not a large mine but had this gem inside still intact

looking down into the hole the hoist is positioned above

Doo Da mine
    this mine has upper and lower main tunnels with 100 or more feet vertical shafts connecting the two. its said that this mine used to continue all the way through the mountain but now it dead ends on both tunnels at cave ins. both tunnels go into the mountain a half mile or more. as you proceed into the mine you will hit pockets of hot humid air do to the hot springs in the area. the air changes are quite abrupt and interesting

double ore shoot

burned timbers hold back tons of loose rock

this shaft connnects down to lower Doo Da
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Thanks for pics Ryan! Keep up the posting.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Jeff
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Nov 2008

Great pics Ryan thanks for sharing.
      Jeff
      Mojave Mine Team
      Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• John
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Oct 2008

Very nice pics. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Great photos! Love those areas. I think I've already posted the coords to a couple of them, but for your sake, we'll keep them a secret in this thread Awesome you found my card. I think its kinda funny to see it in there. Got to represent, right?
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ryan162
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Feb 2009

thats about it for the notable mines we have been to so far. for every reasonable one we find there's twenty more that we poked around and left without taking a single picture lol

yeah Mike a few of those are well documented online. a few were found by scouting satellite photos and a few were found from internet sleuthing. thats kind of fun in itself actually. i found this forum when looking for info on Royal Navy. ill certainly give locations to anyone who contacts me. Ive had alot of fun out there!

Comment

• Joanne
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2009

Great photos and writeups on your adventures. I really enjoy seeing photos of other people's adventures. Maybe it's vicarious, but that's OK too!

Joanne
              Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• ryan162
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Feb 2009

well insteresting tales are unfolding. my girlfriend has made a contact at work who has been mine hunting for along time now and he has said "royal navy" contains 14 levels that we have not seen because we have not entered them in the right place.

very interesting indeed. part of me doughts it because ive never heard of these tunnels, but it does make sence because "royal navy" was one of the top three in calico and the other two are really big. i cant wait to find out!!!

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Wow, 14 levels is pretty big! You guys rappel all these shafts pictured in this thread? I'm pretty much totally hooked on exploring shafts now, maybe there are some virgin ones out there we could hit up.
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• ryan162
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Feb 2009

no repelling for us yet, i bet that does lead the the more insteresting things. we have however been thinking about taking classes on assending and decending so we can be better prepared for accidents on top of being all-terrain inside the mines.

Comment

• ryan162
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Feb 2009

update on the 14 levels....turns out the 14 levels was not a traditional 14 levels like what came to mind but he was talking about all the differnent areas of the mine. but he does know of an area we havnt seen and calls it the most spectacular area so pictures to come in the next month or so

he also had info on a few other mines in the area so we are forming a battle plan

Comment

• RockRacer
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Outlaw
                        • Dec 2008

Is it just my computer, or are most of the pictures in the original post no longer showing up? The only pictures that I see are the last 3.
                        Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• ryan162
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Miner
                          • Feb 2009

i still have them on two different computers. i think they are hosted on myspace though so they could be unreliable

Comment

• RockRacer
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ryan162
                            i still have them on two different computers. i think they are hosted on myspace though so they could be unreliable
                            Wow, there they are! My bad. Dang work computer.
                            Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• ryan162
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Miner
                              • Feb 2009

found the new area of royal navy...you have to walk a plank and make a mandatory 15-20 foot vertical drop. im not sure how to attack it so we left it alone for now.

Comment

Working...