Book - The Mining Camps Speak

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crystal

Book - The Mining Camps Speak

A few weeks ago I was sitting in Harley's auto shop and he handed me this book The Mining Camps Speak. Well, I started reading it and liked it so much that I went home and bought two! One for me and one for my dad. It really opens your eyes to a whole new level of finding and dissecting mining ghost towns. When we go out to abandon mining sites we are always disappointed that there is nothing left to see about how these people lived but after reading this book it is amazing how much left there really is. It also has a brief section on bottles and what era tin cans came from. Really interesting stuff but don't take my word for it take Clive Clussler's "For anyone who is drawn by the lure of the mountains, The Mining Camps Speak is an intense, visually descriptive and absorbing look at the way it was. Highly entertaining and intriguing, it goes far beyond mere storytelling."
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

I like the concept of mining camps speaking. They really do, but sometimes we are the only ones hearing them and listening! In addtiion to Mining Camps Speak, this book Riches to Rust

is authored by one of the members of the MHA and is a very scholarly treatise on the equipment and processes we find evidence of in our explorations...

Comment

• Troy
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Mar 2009

Very nice.... Placed both of them on order today and can't wait to read both books.
      Troy E.

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Mining Camps Speak is a cherished member of my library

Thanks for the heads up on Riches to Rust, I've added it to my wish list!
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• John
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Oct 2008

Those look like very good books. I've now ordered both of them too.

Comment

• Mark1955
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

I just ordered both of them as well. I really love books like those... And I agree that old mine areas do indeed speak... one just has to learn a bit of the language over a period of time to be able to understand it.

Mark

Comment

Working...