X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iamsquat
    Mojave Teen
    • Jun 2008

Worlds Largest Mine Hoist

So A friend and I had the opportunity to go visit the Quincy Mine in Hancock, MI. Got to take a tour of the seventh of 92 levels (entered through an enlarged drainage tunnel on the side of the hill). The Quincy Mine had a steam powered hoist constructed to go down one of the largest shafts of the mine reaching down to the bottom of the mine. Anywho I found a bit more technical information in the form of a PDF here (http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Commun...marks/5631.pdf) The historical society has kept this wonderful Piece of history in very beautiful condition. Apparently it could be started up again if the event ever arrived.
  • Mark1955
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

Next time I go back to visit relatives in Chicago I might just have go see that place... Dam inpressive to say the least! That hoist could travel fully loaded as fast as 36mph! I'm glad they could stop it at the top BTW: I'm not sure the Sears Towers Elevators even go that fast...

Mark

Comment

• iamsquat
      Mojave Teen
      • Jun 2008

It's a nice area to visit thats for sure although most of the mine buildings have disappeared although some have been repurposed as privately owned buildings. The tour of the mine wasn't quite what I was expected though but I suppose thats due to being spoiled by the trips with the MU oh well. Most of what's left is tailings piles and capped mine shafts which dot the woods/towns. The big thing to do around here now is to find some of the elderly people who either worked the mines or were sons or daughters of miners who are wiling to talk to you. I've met with a few of these people and they have had great stories and pictures to go along with them. If you want I could PM you some good places to go eat or visit if you stay in my or one of the surrounding towns.

Comment

Working...