An invitation from the Wilson Family...New Wilson Mine Trip!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark1955
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

An invitation from the Wilson Family...New Wilson Mine Trip!

Those interested please sign up again. Lets do this before it becomes 150 degrees in the desert. Clearance has invited all interested to come out and tour his family's mine. I got a batch of new photos of the mine today from him and he's done some really cool things out there. This can be a sleep over or not... your choice. Pick a date we can all agree on. He is quite flexible as to when we come out and is out there many weekends a year. This trip will not be canceled in leiu of other trips happenning. If you need to go somewhere else by all means go where ever else but because there are already people that have told me thay want to attend this trip it will happen this time around. I will be documenting this trip on video to add to my ever increasing number of Betacam tapes documenting nothing but mines.

This mine is right next door to the Utah mine... which you can clearly see from the Wilson... but not visit. Its now private property. There is another small mine... The Cactus Mine where the Express Trail makes it's 90 degree turn to Callao. You could probably also visit that mine. It was accessable last time I was there.

The group is limited to about 15 give or take... Because this mine is not nearly as large as the Kennicott Pit!!

I will vote for the 29th and 30th but I too am very flexible.

Mark
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Count me in.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Sounds great to me. I'd probably opt for camping.
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• TooeleCherokee
        Mojave Teen
        • Jan 2009

Wow my post didn't show up but I am watching the post...

anyhow as long as you are referring to this month I am in. I will probobly come out and Camp

Comment

• John
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Oct 2008

Sounds great.
          Pencil me in as 90% likely to be there. Also may be interested in finding someone to ride with & share gas costs.

BTW, where is this mine located? I typed in "Utah mine" at MINDAT & a dozen or more mines pop up.

Comment

• Derek
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by John
            Sounds great.
            Pencil me in as 90% likely to be there. Also may be interested in finding someone to ride with & share gas costs.

BTW, where is this mine located? I typed in "Utah mine" at MINDAT & a dozen or more mines pop up.
            It is located in the fish springs mountains on the west side. Here is an overview of the area in general. The large dumps to the north of the road is the Utah or Utahn Mine and the two smaller dumps to the south of the road are the Wilson Mine.
            -Derek
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mark1955
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Dec 2008

I e-mailed Clearance today with those dates... Should hear back from him in a day or so.

Mark

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Mark, put me down for 2 if you have the space. We have been there before so if you are maxed on size we can pass as well. LMK!

Comment

• Mark1955
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Dec 2008

Not a problem Corey and I got a reply from Grumpy that the 29th and 30th are perfect. He was heading out that weekend anyway.

Mark

Comment

• Mike
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

Just making sure we are still on. I've got a seat in my truck for anybody who would like to carpool and split gas.

Camping is in the mine, correct?

Do we have coordinates to the mine?
                    -Fish
                    Mojave Mine Team
                    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mark1955
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Dec 2008

Yep! I received an e-mail from Grumpy a little while ago... he needs to know what time to meet us down by the gate... the place is kept locked up since the re-opening of the Utah Mine... they share the access road. The location to meet is:
                      39 deg. 51' 16.40 N 113 Deg 28' 43.00 W. which is right at the start of the access road. Lets say 11:00 am Saturday Morning at this site. The other option is to meet at Simpson Springs at 10:00 am. Which ever works for everyone is fine with me... The sites are about an hour apart at normal driving speeds out there...

Ya can sleep in the mine if ya want... There's also plenty of room to pitch a tent up top...

Mark

Comment

• Mike
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

Alright sounds good. 11am at the gate it is. It depends on who all else is planning on camping out that night. If nobody else is, I'll just leave @ 6:30 that morning and try to get there on time. Otherwise, camping would be great, but no fun alone.

And for those googling the coords, this should make it easier: 39°51'16.47"N 113°28'43.15"W

I know Derek, Miah, and Crystal all cancelled and have not posted so here. Are we planning on anybody else? Small group?
                        -Fish
                        Mojave Mine Team
                        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Derek
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Jul 2008

Mark,

I thought that someone said that they stopped work at the Utahn Mine? Have they started back up on the drilling? What Mike says is true I have to cancel, because Miah needs a welder and some help to repair the Hidden Treasure entrance gate and since I have already been to Grumpy's mine I'll let others enjoy it this time around.
                          -Derek
                          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mark1955
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Dec 2008

The drillling was just the pre-requisite work that had to be done. The property is still guarded 24/7. There is a big shortage of Galena in the world right now and it's used in the galvanizing process so I'd be willing to bet they pit the place out at some point...

Mark

Comment

• John
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Miner
                              • Oct 2008

Unfortunately I'll be busy this weekend.

Really wanted to go on this one too.

Comment

Working...